(No subject)

David A Froble

On 5/12/2019 10:14 AM, jschuber@... [canard-aviators] wrote:
While the landing brake is strong, it does have limits and not all landing brakes are the same.

The original landing brake design was manually operated and manual extension at high speed was VERY difficult.

With the electric actuators, the extension speed goes WAY up and can be extended at structure failing speeds.

There was a mod put out to reinforce the brake with extra glass and the foam was injected with resin. If you did not build your airplane it may not have the upgraded strength mod so until you know for sure you'd be wise to follow the RAF published limits of 95 KIAS.

After the initial bang, things will get really quiet if the landing brake goes through the prop.

Terry Schubert
Central States Association Newsletter Editor
Just thinking about this issue causes me to consider solutions. Yeah, I do that. I'm also a software architect / engineer. Makes for interesting thoughts.

For the electric speed brake actuator, perhaps some "intelligence" is called for. Now, I'm not much good with electronics, so I can have the idea, but would be lousy for implementing solutions. How about disabling the "down" direction above some selected speed, say the 95 KIAS Terry mentioned? You'd not want to disable the "up" direction, for obvious reasons.

Doable? Well, that smart phone everyone is carrying around has way more compute capability than most realize. Just wondering if we use smart phones why we don't also use smart airplanes?

Of course one would want to avoid any 737 MAX syndromes ....

Dave Froble Enterprises, Inc. E-Mail: davef@...
DFE Ultralights, Inc.
170 Grimplin Road
Vanderbilt, PA 15486