Re: Making female molds and parts

David A Froble

On 5/16/2019 9:30 AM, Bruce Hughes ezcopilot@... [canard-aviators] wrote:
Group:I need to make a female mold,then a part that is lighter than
the original.Please, can anyone tell me of abook or other information that I need?If the 1st try works, I have 3 other parts that are too heavy.Thank you very much.Bruce Hughes
First thing, I'm no expert on molds.

You want to make the mold rather heavy, and stiff. And thick. This helps you to make a more precise part. Don't worry about resin to glass mix, perhaps more resin helps.

I've got a mold here for making a fuselage shell. It's rather heavy. Actually, we cut it into two halfs, easier to make the part, and then bond the parts together.

Key thing, lots and lots of release agent.

Be glad to hear any corrections, hints, and such from any experts.

Dave Froble Enterprises, Inc. E-Mail: davef@...
DFE Ultralights, Inc.
170 Grimplin Road
Vanderbilt, PA 15486