Re: NORDO

Dan Pettinger

If a “T” is put in the com coax for connecting a hand held com radio, to what degree if any will this impact the com antenna?

Would there be any other unintended consequences?

Dan

On Jun 13, 2019, at 12:42 PM, Phil Kriley greilich@... [canard-aviators] <canard-aviators@...> wrote:

Erlend, I plan to do this, with a receptacle mounted in the panel and a short cable that can be attached to it and a hand held.

Phil Kriley

On Jun 13, 2019, at 12:42 PM, Erlend Moen erlend@... [canard-aviators] <canard-aviators@...> wrote:

Interesting discussion!

Would it be wice to plan for an external connection ready in the instrument panel? Then it would be very easy to connect a handheld in case of a radio malfunction, even with an electrical issue I could connect a handheld and still have a radio available.

Med vennlig hilsen / Best Regards
Erlend Moen

13. jun. 2019 kl. 15:13 skrev Jim Evans jevansez@... [canard-aviators] <canard-aviators@...>:

James:  I flew mine with a handheld running through the coax just as you described the first two years after first flight which included two trips to OSH.  That was some 30+ years ago and worked just fine.

Jim

On Thu, Jun 13, 2019 at 1:03 AM berkut13@... [canard-aviators] <canard-aviators@...> wrote:

If your antenna in the winglet and main coax run is operational, just connect the handheld to it with a coax pigtail extension.  I can easily reach 20+ miles using a handheld on the ground with a copper foil di-pole on a stick....  In the air, I’m betting it would perform the same as your panel mount for normal ops.

Just say’n.  Cheap and easy patch till your radio is fixed.

-James

Berkut/Race 13