Re: Elevator balance check.

Christian Bailey <aetm12@...>

I searched and found this thread because my Berkut is in paint and the A&P
who is balancing the control surfaces asked for more detailed instructions
on limits – both for Elevator and Ailerons.

I understand that, like for the LongEZ, the elevator must balance trailing
edge up (as measured on bottom surface) when supported at the hinge rod. And
ailerons must balance between upper surface level and bottom surface level.

But the A&P has some follow-up questions:

1) Usually there is a tolerance range in inch pounds?

2) Are there limits on how much weight you can add if possible?
From the Canard Pusher helpfully linked by Andy, I have: “any Roncz
elevator, (after it has been balanced to the pivot line) that weighs more
than 3.8 lb (left) and 3.4 lb (right) should not be flown” and “if you have
to add weight, it MUST be added only to the outboard mass balance.”
I didn’t find anything for the ailerons, but assume that less weight is
needed for them so it’s not practically an issue.

3) Is there a defined limit to how trailing edge up elevators can or should
be? (As there is for the ailerons.)
From the CP, I have: “balance … elevators to at least the pivot axis, or
forward of it, after paint, and flight ready.”

Do I have all that right and is there anything else you would add?

Thank you,
Christian

Berkut 540 N6212

From: mailto:canard-aviators-noreply@yahoogroups.com
To: mailto:canard-aviators@yahoogroups.com
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 2015 12:47:53 +0000
Subject: [c-a] Elevator balance check.

The plans (chapter 11) describe an arrangement to hang elevators by the
pivot on a GU canard upside down to check balance. Given that the pivot
arrangement on the Roncz canard is different is there a way to check them???

Thanks and Happy Christmas

Kevin Kelly