Re: COZY: picking up from paint - what to look for?

Andrew Anunson

Thank you for that tip Buly... I didn't know that, and I'll remember it.
How long till we remove the tape?  15 minutes?

Thanks!
Andrew Anunson

On ‎Thursday‎, ‎June‎ ‎27‎, ‎2019‎ ‎11‎:‎24‎:‎45‎ ‎AM‎ ‎EDT, Buly bulent.enginegear@... [canard-aviators] wrote:

It sounds as a common sense thing, but my hangar mate years back, took his plane to a professional plane painting outfit. Had it done and after drying for few days he brought his CZ back. I could not believe what I was seeing. The fine line and masking tape around the windshield and the windows was still on.
I told him it is a big problem and it is going to hurt. He did not think so, until tried to pull the tape. Paint was lifting in a ugly jagged line.
The painter should have pulled the tape off soon after finishing with the spray gun.
Just something to consider.

On Thu, Jun 27, 2019 at 11:09 AM Izzy Briggs inbriggs@... [canard-aviators] <canard-aviators@...> wrote:

You should have used a blue paint gun.

Izzy

On Jun 27, 2019, at 10:41, Bob Holliston bob.holliston@... [canard-aviators] <canard-aviators@...> wrote:

I recently painted my LongEZ , the third one I've painted and it's a really big deal. The actual spraying takes less than 8 hours, the prep hundreds. I wouldn't do it for less than 20 K. The only way to do it right (my opinion) is to disassemble everything. I counted 46 separate parts to paint.

On Thu, Jun 27, 2019 at 6:20 AM Izzy Briggs inbriggs@... [canard-aviators] <canard-aviators@...> wrote:

How did the guy balance the controls exactly?

How much weight was added to the plane? Did you get a before and after weight?

How long should the paint cure before it can return to service? Some paints need to sit for a week or so before it can handle a bugs face at 200.

Make sure there’s no leftover paper or tape anywhere, especially the engine area and the brakes. Bring a flashlight.

Make sure all doors and panels can be opened or removed that they weren’t painted shut.

Drips can be mitigated by some skilled use of a razor blade and rubbing compound without too much difficulty so don’t sweat them too much.

Izzy

On Jun 26, 2019, at 20:41, Christian Bailey <aetm12@...> wrote:

On the recommendations from a few folks on this list, I just had my Berkut painted at Kracon in Lincoln, CA.

They completed the job only a couple of days past the two weeks promised, which seems incredible. So I'm going tomorrow to pick her up.

I will do a careful inspection of the job, looking for runs and overspray.

On my safety list is a thorough preflight, particularly including canard attachment bolts and wires, and full travel of all controls (I brought a protractor to check the travel). They had an A&P balance the controls and make a logbook entry.

Tapping the collective braintrust here – anything else you’ve seen or heard of a paint shop mess up that I should look out for?

Christian

Berkut 540 N6212

Bulent Aliev
Enginegear