From: canard-aviators@... <canard-aviators@...>
Sent: Saturday, June 29, 2019 9:58 AM
To: canard-aviators@...
Subject: Re: [c-a] Coupling Radio antennae

In case you still want to try something, this phasing harness should combine the antennas.   The distance between the antennas is a factor, but at ~28', might be at an optimal 1/4 wave distance.   The VSWR would change if one antenna were shorted or opened, but could easily be checked with a meter.

https://amphenol-antennas.com/datasheets/MMU2xxx.pdf

For someone doing an around the world flight, increasing fore and aft coverage might be desired.  OTOH, the tower might not be able to hear you sporadically when you're in the pattern.

Regards,
Mike Satchell

On 6/29/2019 10:02 AM, Phillip Johnson cozy.cgple@... [canard-aviators] wrote:

Agreed Tim,

BTW if you use any form of splitter/combiner you would be transmitting/receiving on two antenna’s.  There would be interaction between the two antenna’s resulting in a horrible azimuthal beam pattern.  Additionally the impedance matching would only be good with both antenna’s connected. I.e you have just doubled the probability of failure.  Kind of like having twin engines on an aircraft.

Phillip Johnson

Phillip Johnson (From iPad)
Cozy MKIV RG Powered by Subaru IO-200 (SN 0030)
http://www.canardaviation.com/PhillipJohnson

On Jun 29, 2019, at 10:52 AM, Tim Andres tim2542@... [canard-aviators] <canard-aviators@...> wrote:

I think you're far more likely to need a back up radio than a back up antenna.

Tim Andres

On Jun 29, 2019, at 10:47 AM, 'Del Schier' cozypilot@... [canard-aviators] <canard-aviators@...> wrote:

Mike that would not work, it splits the signal into two different bands. It is made so if you had a dual band antenna and two radios, or a dual band radio, (VHF and UHF), it would work on one antenna.

Del Schier

Cozy IV N197DL

Cannon Creek Airpark 15FL