From: canard-aviators@...
Sent: Sunday, July 21, 2019 8:08 PM
To: 'Marcus Borom' borommarc@... [canard-aviators]
Subject: Re: [c-a] Coupling Radio antennae reply to Don Jones

Hi Marcus,

when you lost your rudder, where did the rudder cable break?  Presumably 3/32" cable? I ask because I heard a story about the rudder cable causing further injury to the pilot's leg in a crash as it was pulled through the cabin when the wings sheared off.

--Jose

On Sun, Jul 21, 2019, at 6:02 PM, 'Marcus Borom' borommarc@... [canard-aviators] wrote:

Don,

I lost the upper third of the winglet and the rudder was ripped off (see attached picutres).  I kept a cool head and was able to control the plane fairly easily using only the ailerons.  If the Piper had been 18 inches lower, I would have lost my head compoletely..

After having totally rebuilt this plane in only five days at Oshkosh in 1988, it was a bit ridiculous how long it took to get this repair done.  I was a little bummed out.

Marc

Sent: Friday, June 28, 2019 11:25 AM

Subject: Re: [c-a] Coupling Radio antennae

Marc, how much of the winglet was taken off and how difficult was it to control the plane. If this story was put out on the forum, I somehow missed it. Glad things turned out ok for you.

Don Jones

Berkut FG

On Friday, June 28, 2019, 1:18:35 PM EDT, 'Marcus Borom' borommarc@... [canard-aviators] <canard-aviators@...> wrote:

Since I had my mid-air, in which I lost my left winglet and associated radio antenna, I want to avoid the possible loss of radio contact, if this ever (very unlikely) happens again.  It was fortunate that my radio was connected through my right winglet, so I maintained radio contact with the tower.

I have now rebuilt my left winglet and associated radio antenna.  It works.  Is it possible to connect both antennae to the radio through a splitter (or combiner??) so that, if one antenna goes bad, or is knocked off by an errant airplane, radio contact is maintained?

Anxious to know.

Marc Borom

N966EZ

Ryan Field