Re: COZY: Vendor Warning - David Hanson

Doc Flyboy

It’s not a “biannual”, Simon, it’s a “condition inspection”. Sorry, if you hand over $1,000 without a written contract, well... Furthermore, the deposit should follow the pre-buy inspection, not precede it.

Curt Smith

Don,

What benefit would it do to call the FAA on something like this?  From what I understand, they have no jurisdiction on plane sales, deposits, etc.

And if you saw something bad to point out to them, I can't see them doing anything about it until the airplane is involved in an accident or incident.  As long as it's signed off on a biannual, it's good to go.  Even if it's not signed off, they wouldn't do anything about it unless they saw it taxiing to/from the runway or flying.

I am concerned about your losing your $1,000, though, unless you had a contract that effectively said the deposit isn't yours anymore if you decline to buy it.  I've never seen such a contract, though.  Did you have a contract?

There are plenty of people badmouthing David Hanson.  I'd like to hear what he has to say.

Simon

July 29, 2019 10:56:32 PM CEST "DONALD BERLIN vette164@... [canard-aviators]" <canard-aviators@...> wrote:

I could add to this regarding one of his planes I looked at.  I put $1000.00 deposit then found some major issues.  He told the seller not to give me my deposit back.  I settled with the seller for half of my deposit back.  I should have went to the FAA on this one.

On Jul 29, 2019, at 8:46 AM, Marc J. Zeitlin <marc_zeitlin@...> wrote:

Folks:

While relaxing in our B&B room in Florence prior to going out to dinner, I ran across a Barnstormers advertisement by David Hanson of Warren, Ohio, for composite canard build / assistance services (he has, he claims, 17 years of "experiance"). I felt ethically obligated to issue a warning.

I know of at least two aircraft that Mr. Hanson has built/refurbished that have had major issues with them. One is his personal SQ2K, which I examined personally in Chino, CA in February. Just to be open, here's the list of issues I found with the SQ2K N440DH, NOT in severity order:
  • Loose center firewall belcrank
  • Wing TE thickness & separation
  • High Friction in elevator
  • Heavy wings (120 lb each)
  • Cut center spar near bolt holes - almost 1/2 missing
  • Rudder cable rub on push rod
  • Terrible workmanship
  • Baffling wrong direction
  • Door fit - they don’t
  • Winglet TE separation
  • NG-6 not captured
  • Bolts / nuts wrong and wrong length
  • Brake Master Cylinders’s cantilevered
  • Canard glassed in
  • Fuel vent inside cabin
  • Very heavy - 1460 lb
  • Logs thin (and misleading)
I made it very clear to the owner that this plane should not be flown and I would NEVER sign off a CI on it. I know of at least two other A&P's that have examined this plane that say essentially the same thing.

Now, I'll state outright that NO plane is perfect - EVERY plane, including my own, will have some issues with it that some A&P's might find to be issues to be addressed at some point. But there are at least 3 -5 items listed above that indicate to me that Mr. Hanson does not understand the required safety aspects of these aircraft, or worse, that he does and doesn't care. I do not know which of these is the case, but it doesn't matter for the people that use his services - either way, there are safety related problems.

Mr. Hanson has a "signature" paint scheme that he uses on any plane he's had a hand in refinishing - it makes it relatively easy to recognize at least that part of his work.

For anyone looking for composite builder assistance, aircraft / part purchase, or modification help, Caveat Emptor.

--Sent from Mailfence.com - Secure encrypted email

Curt Smith Sent from Gmail Mobile