From: Rick Hall rickh@... [canard-aviators]
To: canard-aviators
Sent: Mon, Jul 29, 2019 2:17 pm
Subject: Re: [c-a] Re: Camping update at OSH

It's Rockford ;)

Boeing/Fed-x/Ford/other big boyz pay to display their offerings in front
of 500,000 people. As to war-birds, I kinda agree. But seeing a F4U up
close is kinda neat, and they do draw a crowd.

Ignoring the 'commercial' aspect of Airventure, especially the eye glass
cleaners and magic fingers massage chair vendors, there's a lot to offer
for the builders/experimenters.

Bill K volunteers for the composite workshop, it's filled to capacity
more than half of the sessions. I volunteer at the Cozy-3 build in
Aeroplane Workshop, along with the rest of "Team Epoxy", Chrissi, Randi,
Bob, George, and often a few from the audience. We laid up both spar
caps and both wing skins on one wing this year. Ever try to skin a wing
using medium hardener in 85* heat while answering the inevitable "can I
ask a small question"?  Hand layups are 'old tech', but we do draw a
modest crowd.

If "Team Epoxy" didn't volunteer, RV types would be flying around with
butt ugly modified cowlings. Yes, that's one of the "can I ask a small
question" we *often* answer ;)

Do you know Portuguese? I don't either, but have had multiple visitors
to our workshop from Brazil. The International Tent has volunteer
translators that will go to a workshop/venue. I found that out on
departure, from a Russian couple. What timing :-/

Gordon:
Know where you're coming from, suspect many think the same. But if we
don't volunteer to share our collective knowledge with the few
experimenters that attend, we're shooting ourselves in the proverbial
foot. IMHO, of course :)

Rick

On 7/29/2019 1:40 PM, Izzy Briggs inbriggs@... [canard-aviators]
wrote:

> Good points. Personally, I’d like to see anything military banned from
> the event. It’s be nice to skip the United Airlines and UPS airplanes
> dominating Boeing as well. Those guys can all go to Paris.
>

> Maybe we should all just start landing in Rockville again.
>
> Izzy
>

> On Jul 29, 2019, at 13:46, Gordon Bowen
> gordon.bowen.training@...
> gordon.bowen.training@...> [canard-aviators]
> <canard-aviators@...
> canard-aviators@...>> wrote:

>> Osh$, has been going commercial for a long time. The reason I quit
>> doing the composites workshop and coming to Osh to volunteer. The
>> entire”AirVenture” theme will be a failure as soon as the homebuilder
>> core quit volunteering at Osh. It’s now 100% on the local chapters to
>> keep the original EAA movement alive. Ask yourself, if the EAA did
>> not have real experimental aircraft enthusiast around the country,
>> would our so called builders convention in Osh survive? Would the
>> State of WI pony up the money to support the state’s largest event? I
>> know someone in Osh corporate management reads these posting on our
>> user group, I wonder if they will wake up to the fact that they have
>> allowed our annual experimental convention has been highjacked by
>> money, like our political system...

Posted by: Rick Hall <rickh@...>

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional