Re: COZY: Bottom Fuselage Paint

A R Goldman <ARGOLDMAN@...>

Phil, there are scads of instructional videos on YouTube.  That will give you a knowledge base then a little practice on cardboard. Thinning and handling the paint is vital pressure and dryness of air are also critical

YouTube will help

Also your paint supplier should be a great help

Rich

I also would like to learn to paint.  I bought a good compressor and a spray kit from Lowe’s but my results to date are not as good as I can get with a rattle can.  I hoped to attend two sessions at OSH this year but had to miss the Monday sessions.

Where can I learn how to spray?  Or is it like welding...best left to the pros?

Phil Kriley

Tim Andres wrote:
Prime, sand, inspect, fill, prime, sand, inspect, fill....lather repeat as necessary, so yeah, do that while its upside down.

What do you fill with after prime?

Kent Ashton wrote:
I would certainly paint it upside down.  It’s not fun painting on your back in protective gear, even with a pressurized paint-pot.

Do you recommend a pressure pot system?  I need to Zolatone, Prime, and Paint.  I may want to redo old cars as my next hobby, so I need to learn to paint.

Greg Norman wrote:
I primered mine upside down. Why not prep sand it too.. So much easier on the arms. You can spray color on its belly right side up pretty easy with a good modern gravity spray gun.

OK Sounds Great!!!

Tom Brusehaver wrote:
If the engine stand is oriented right, you can point the nose almost 45 degrees up. Then painting underneath is fairly easy.

Good to know!  I will remeber this for the paint....

Thank You All for your replies.... Do I need to hire a painter or can I pull off a "20 footer" paint job on my own?
Andrew Anunson