Re: EZ painting [1 Attachment]

David A Froble

Never saw an argument I could stay out of. Well, not really.

Bob, what's the purpose of the paint job? If it's to show, fine. But if the entire purpose is a fun aircraft, then the appearance is sort of secondary, or tertiary, or ....

To me, the weight of paint on the aircraft would be the most important thing. For such, the vynal you used would be good, I'd think. The people who do this say they can do the entire aircraft in vynal.

On 8/7/2019 1:10 PM, Bob Holliston bob.holliston@... [canard-aviators] wrote:

Harley, that looks pretty good in the pic. How does it look when your
eyes are 12" away? Is it perfect? I'm a pretty good painter (3 EZ's and
20 cars) and even with a $600.00 Sata spray gun my painting isn't
exactly perfect so I always "cut and buff". Cut with 1,500 grit then
3,000 grit on a DA. Then buff with 3 grades of buffing compound. Then
it's "perfect". I'd really like to actually see a good roll on paint
job. Maybe I'd change my mind. I recently painted my LongEZ. The
materials came to $1,300.00. The pic. doesn't really show the shine but
it's there.

On Wed, Aug 7, 2019 at 9:43 AM Harley Dixon harley@...
[canard-aviators] <canard-aviators@...
<mailto:canard-aviators@...>> wrote:

__

Yes indeed Art, and the previous mentioned Pettit and West Marine's
own SeaGloss are two of them. Also, Bob, using these paints, and
the rolling and tipping process mentioned, my finish IS equal to
spray jobs done by my local aircraft painting people at the
Canandaigua Airport. They have admired the job I did on my plane
using West Marine's SeaGloss and rolling it on.

Harley

On 8/7/2019 10:50 AM, ARGOLDMAN@... <mailto:ARGOLDMAN@...>
[canard-aviators] wrote:
If I am not mistaken, there are paints, including 2K urethane that
are formulated for this process which tend to flow out more
appropriately. Temperature of application is critical in that hot
temps tend to "dry" the paint quicker and give you less time to
adequately tip.

Dave Froble Enterprises, Inc. E-Mail: davef@...
DFE Ultralights, Inc.
170 Grimplin Road