Re: EZ painting

Phil Kriley

When is the last time a yacht won a gold Lindy for it’s flawless paint job? 🤔  Has a plane with a rolled paint job ever won at OSH?  I suppose it is possible, but I find it unlikely.  I am a crappy spray painter, but even my spray work looks better than anything I have ever seen that was rolled.  And I have never heard of an autobody shop rolling paint.  Must be a reason for that.  Even the cheap paint shops spray and it would surely be less expensive for them to use rollers, but they don’t.

Having said that, I might roll the underside of my plane’s nose where I did a repair.  Certainly less work, less mess,  no overspray and no one will notice.

My uneducated $.02

Phil Kriley

On Aug 7, 2019, at 7:34 PM, A R Goldman ARGOLDMAN@... [canard-aviators] <canard-aviators@...> wrote:

I guess al those yachts with there beautiful topsides are just illusions and that manufactures don’t make paint for that purpose is also an illusion. I assume your comment is based on a great deal of personal experience.

I don’t know if it as good as advertised since I haven’t done it myself.

Of course we all know that man cannot exceed 30 or so MPH or physiological catastrophe will happen and man will never fly. And of course a modern plane with the engine in back and the tail in front especially made of foam and glass—— blasphemy!!!!
Rich

 with an open mind

On Aug 7, 2019, at 10:36 AM, Bob Holliston bob.holliston@... [canard-aviators] <canard-aviators@...> wrote:

Rolling and tipping might be OK for primer that is going to be sanded but you'll never get a high quality finish paint job as with a spray gun. Not even close.

On Wed, Aug 7, 2019 at 8:17 AM ARGOLDMAN@... [canard-aviators] <canard-aviators@...> wrote:

This video says it all as far as the technique.

I will probably do it myself, thanks.

Google wisely. I was able to find a video of a person of the British persuasion who, on video, rolled and tipped the topsides of a rather large power boat, by himself. It seemed like it was his first attempt, however his first coat looked beautiful and glossy.

The important thing in rolling and tipping is to use the proper paint and thinner instructions. The brush should be a high quality (boar bristle). Its purpose is to go over the rolled on paint (use only  high quality dense foam rollers) and smooth the surface from bubbles and orange peal to allow the paint to then flow--not to add more paint to the substrate.

If I am not mistaken, there are paints, including 2K urethane that are formulated for this process which tend to flow out more appropriately. Temperature of application is critical in that hot temps tend to "dry" the paint quicker and give you less time to adequately tip.

Check with yachting suppliers-- Jamestown has lots of experience and seem willing to talk about paint and processes-- Apparently their main (or only) concern and business is these coatings rather than being a general marine supplier. Of course shop for the best deals once the item is determined to be best for you.

Rich