From: Jeff Barnes jcbarnes411@... [canard-aviators] To: canard-aviators
Sent: Sun, Sep 15, 2019 9:29 am
Subject: Re: [c-a] O320 crankshaft oil seal

Why do you think the rubber is shot?

If you are blowing oil out at the prop you may have a positive-pressure in crankcase problem, not an oil seal problem.  Is the seal still in the engine or sitting on outside of engine?

My engine blew seal out after I my crankcase pressure relief tube oil incorrectly faced into airstream coming thru cowl instead of away from it  AND/OR I flew thru an hour of classic carb-ice conditions (I hv FI, but point is cold n wet) and I froze up the moisture in my oil-breather hose.

Fix was to install the Antisplat system from Antisplataero.com. Note of caution: unclamp and inspect the part that goes into your exhaust, carbon does build up and could block tube - I scrape out with screwdriver every oil change.

Replaced nose-seal with one piece seal, with tool and help of grizzled old A&P. Lyc Service instruction attached, shows how to change, ignore the overbore stuff. attached.

Regards;

Jeff Barnes
RV6 Race 411

On Sunday, September 15, 2019, 9:22:15 AM MDT, john toelaer johntoelaer@... [canard-aviators] wrote:

After 50 years, I think the rubber is shot.  Who has changed one of these?
Did you use 2 piece or one piece seal?   If one piece, where did you buy the tool?
Youtube does not discuss the spring.  I have big fingers so how do I attach the 2 ends of the spring.   What questions did I forget to ask?
TIA
n138ez