Re: Fuel Tank Post Cure

Andrew Anunson

I used EZ Poxy to build my fuel strakes.... I really enjoyed working with it!  Very nice epoxy.
Andrew Anunson

On Monday, September 16, 2019, 02:00:18 PM EDT, Bob Holliston bob.holliston@... [canard-aviators] wrote:

Better listen to this guy.... he INVENTED Safetypoxy (E-Zpoxy). Car gas will never see my tanks. My cheapskate hanger partner ran car gas for years, but only in a back seat removable aluminum tank, never in the mains.

On Mon, Sep 16, 2019 at 10:44 AM Gordon Bowen gordon.bowen.training@... [canard-aviators] <canard-aviators@...> wrote:

Last night, forgot to add my thoughts on post cure. First, the most critical thing one can do for any laminate exposed to fuel is get the hardener to resin mix ratio exactly right. Any excess resin or hardener will be leached out by the fuel. Second avoid Mogas, the mogas formulas vary greatly based on needs like vapor lock in hot climates to adding lots of butane and isobutane for starting in cold climates. This does not even consider the affects of ethanol in mogas on epoxies and various gaskets in tbe fuel system. Lastly, let the epoxy laminate RT cure at least 30 days if no assisted post cure before exposure to fuel. If assist post cure, use a heating blanket, like used on a bed. It will not get too hot to hurt the foam. Or, if sunny, put black plastic over the laminate, set in sun. Do not expose to fuel for at least 7 days, even with 24 hrs of a heating blanket.