Re: Homemade ADS-B in/out?

Ryszard Zadow

< Several fill-ups is about the same as that wingtip unit. >

How much gas does your aircraft hold that “several fillups” are the cost of a wingtip unit?

Wingtip unit: $1500 ea plus installation.
Multiply that times 4 aircraft
= $6000 min

That’s a lot of gas. In fact at today’s prices that’s 1800 gallons of gas. Divide that up by 4 aircraft and you have about TWO YEARS of RAFEs flying budget.

This is not an insignificant issue.

RZ

On Jun 7, 2020, at 23:20, David A Froble <davef@tsoft-inc.com> wrote:

On 6/7/2020 10:17 PM, Ryszard Zadow wrote:
<Out does not, they have to be approved systems>

This is a long story which will be coming to the surface soon, but Rutan
Aircraft Flying Experience has been effectively grounded by ADS-B. We
have only one aircraft equipped with it and cannot afford to do the
rest. We're not the only ones. Many people I know in the Houston area
have been grounded by this "mandate" Kitplanes Weekly recently ran an
article titled "ADS-B for the little guy" that describes similar
situations and how people are dealing with it.

RAFE is in the process of spearheading an initiative to address this.
Certainly it was not the FAA"s intent to purposefully ground people but
that has become the consequence. In this effort we've been communicating
with several organizations. Below is a quote from EAA Government Affairs:

<The one concession we have managed to obtain from the FAA was the
acknowledgement that experimentals need not have "certified" (TSOed or
otherwise) ADS-B systems, as long as they meet the performance standards
of the rule. <

We've not seen exactly what this refers to and have it in writing on FAA
letterhead but we're moving in that direction. I'm sure someone can make
one of these a lot cheaper than what's on the market and maybe help
people get flying again.
A couple of thoughts ....

Think about what a DVD drive does. They can be bought for $20.

I'd agree that a simple radio, and simple GPS, could broadcast location and vector and should not cost arms and legs.

On the other hand, some of the units available aren't really that expensive. Consider an EZ with empty tanks, and the cost of a fill-up. Several fill-ups is about the same as that wingtip unit.

Empty tanks also causes grounding ....

Dave Froble Enterprises, Inc. E-Mail: davef@tsoft-inc.com
DFE Ultralights, Inc.
170 Grimplin Road