Re: Aging Pilots - another problem

Sid Tolchin

Rick Hall,
Certainly I remember! We were both trying to beat the closing in weather on
departure. I've been keeping up on your progress ever since, on this site.

I had been with Young Eagles also in my last T210 but had my concerns with
new (and unknown) kids in the back seat of the EZ so that stopped.

So many responses I've had, on and off this site, thanks to all.

One of the primary reasons for liability insurance is my selfish joy in
carrying passengers and letting them get the "feel" using the rear stick,
never doing any maneuvers or even steep turns until they're comfortable,
stopping at a different airport for lunch and taking photos. The latest was
a young student, newly rated for multiengine commercial, who had never done
single-engine commercial maneuvers such as chandelles, S turns across a
road, 8's, spirals around a point, etc. that he tried to perfect from the
rear seat of the EZ over several flights. His instructor was impressed last
week when he did them so well in their 172 during the first time out for his
SE commercial rating.

I never ask newbies to fly, they have to ask me, and there have been a lot
in these 64 years of flying in all kinds of aircraft.

I appreciate all of the comments about going bare and I'd like to include a
pertinent comment by Mike Yodice at AOPA:
"While working in the capacity of an AOPA Legal Services Plan counselor, I
used to get a lot of calls about the utility of establishing a Limited
Liability Company (LLC) to own an aircraft. I found that many callers seemed
to think that owning an airplane in an LLC provides absolute protection
against all manner of liability. It does not. An LLC offers limited
liability, that is, its members are generally not personally liable for the
debts, obligations and liabilities of the entity itself. However, a member
of an LLC piloting an owned aircraft involved in an accident resulting in a
claim of pilot negligence or similar may be held personally liable. Aircraft
owners should consult with a knowledgeable aviation attorney in their state
to evaluate the best liability protection strategies for their particular
circumstances, which might include using an LLC. A common recommendation
from legal practitioners and insurance professionals alike is to buy as much
liability insurance as you can get or afford."

.... and from a lawyer friend who laughed and said: "Yeah, you might be
protected with an LLC or a family trust and, in the end, you'll probably win
but you'll spend most or all of what you're trying to protect for attorney
fees."

So I'll not let my bride have to deal with all that and just keep on tryin'.

Sid