Re: Valve/Rocker arm setting

longezn911gg

Harley,
You want to pre-load #2 and #4 then start with #1 at TDC set it to .008” +/-.001 then continue in the firing order. After you have completed it go around once more re-checking with the feeler gauge. There is a you tube video on the 0-290, which is the same. Always refer to the lycoming manual.

Good luck

Craig Gearhart

On Jun 30, 2020, at 12:09 PM, Harley Dixon <harley@...> wrote:

What's the accepted way to adjust the valve lash?  Lycoming instructions say to set the cylinder at TDC, then check or adjust the rocker arm/push rod gap (solid lifters...it's an O-235 C) but wouldn't it be easier to rotate the prop until the intake valve is approaching fully open then set the exhaust valve rocker arm gap, and vice versa for the exhaust valve settings? That's the way I used to do it for my cars before hydraulic lifters. Looking around the internet, I don't see any mention of doing it this way on solid lifter aircraft engines.

Harley
Long EZ N28EZ