Re: COZY: Is anyone currently operating off a grass strip with a cozy MK IV

Bulent Aliev

As Vance said,
I did hear from the buyer, complaining that by the time he gets to take off line, the engine overheats. He wandered why? 🙄 I explained to him that taxiing at high power in the grass, with minimal forward motion, the engine has no way to shed the extra heat.
Than he asked how come the nose dives down too much on takeoff roll?
Again, the small nose wheel boggs down in the grass and  the thrust of the engine pushes the nose down I told him. Than he altered the NG strut.
I was very much against him flying from the grass strip, but the doctor was persistent. What do I know?

On Sat, Jul 25, 2020 at 11:16 AM vance atkinson <nostromo56@...> wrote:
About a year or so ago a doctor bought Bulent Aliev's very nice Cozy 4 that was based in Florida.  I ferried it to Houston TX for Buly and checked out the owner, who had no experience in EZ types but was very current in Cherokee he owned.

 He had a house on a grass field and wanted to base it there.  I checked him out on hard surfaces and told him about the perils of grass field Ops.  He went ahead anyway.

Haven't heard how he fared but months later, did see a picture that Buly sent me of the plane sporting a brand new aluminum nose gear strut.  Looked like it was milled out of a solid billet and it looked really nice... and probably cost a small fortune.

You can reach Buly at  <bulent.enginegear@...> He may have more info relative to how the Doctors machine is doing.
Vance Atkinson

On 7/25/2020 10:13 AM, 'Phil Kriley' via COZY Builders Mailing List wrote:
I avoid grass even for taxiing if at all possible and would never consider landing/taking off from grass.  Beats the hell out of landing gear and wheel pants.  Damaged my wheel pants at OSH and at Rough River.

Phil Kriley

I have 30 years of grass experience.  None of it in a canard.  I would love to use grass for my plane when finished.  I won't - unless I know it's a long and expertly maintained daily.  Armadillos leave terrible holes, can't imagine what happens to our nose gear when you hit one.  There are also moles which leave their mole hills as mountains if you don't see them in time.  I know of a grass strip at Leeward air ranch in Ocala,  It's the only one I'd use - but haven't seen it in years.  Used to have a few canards there.

Everyone I talk to recommends against it, including Marc a couple weeks ago.