Re: COZY: Is anyone currently operating off a grass strip with a cozy MK IV

Craig Westwood

There is only one grass strip I would consider, and that is Triple Tree Aerodrome in South Carolina (SC00).  It's 7000' x 400' and like a golf fairway.  That said, I know a Long-Ez (O-235) pilot that went over there and vowed never again as he thought he wasn't gonna get off the ground.  He did, and with plenty of room as beyond the hump in the runway there's another ~2000'.  A Cozy at higher weight and a forward CG is gonna need a lot of runway on grass.

Craig

On Sat, Jul 25, 2020 at 5:08 PM Bill Allen <billallensworld@...> wrote:
In ‘Yurp, where we have smaller and costlier everything, people are forced to use grass where there isn’t a blacktop airfield nearby courtesy WW2.
I don't know of anyone using grass with a Cozy Mk4, but I do know of one Cozy Classic which used to operate off grass, and the owner installed a larger nosewheel for this.
I have flown my LongEz off grass once, but it was a billiard smoooth grass runway.

Here’s a youtube video of Stefano Ferretti landing his VariEze on his Homebase grass runway in Italy.

Graham Singleton modified his LongEz to operate off grass by installing the nosegear 1” forward of plans location to encourage earlier rotation.

If you’re going to operate off grass, you have to know your own grass airfield intimately, and as others have said, watch out for rabbit holes, ruts, boggy patches etc. You have to have driven or walked it, talked to locals who know where the bumps are etc etc.

The other big disadvantage our aircraft have is the “pogo-stick” nose spring. That can get in phase with bumps and pitch you over. Stefano (in the above video) fitted a modified MTB damper to cope with this. I have made a few of my own versions and Ken McConnell (VariEze) has been testing it, and is very pleased with it. However, It only works with the manual retract mechanism.

So, grass might work if you set your aircraft up for it, if the grass was smooth, short, dry and well maintained (ie; like blacktop) but otherwise, keep to the black stuff.

Bill Allen

On Sat, 25 Jul 2020 at 22:09, Buly <bulent.enginegear@...> wrote:
As Vance said,
I did hear from the buyer, complaining that by the time he gets to take off line, the engine overheats. He wandered why? 🙄 I explained to him that taxiing at high power in the grass, with minimal forward motion, the engine has no way to shed the extra heat.
Than he asked how come the nose dives down too much on takeoff roll?
Again, the small nose wheel boggs down in the grass and  the thrust of the engine pushes the nose down I told him. Than he altered the NG strut.
I was very much against him flying from the grass strip, but the doctor was persistent. What do I know?

On Sat, Jul 25, 2020 at 11:16 AM vance atkinson <nostromo56@...> wrote:
About a year or so ago a doctor bought Bulent Aliev's very nice Cozy 4 that was based in Florida.  I ferried it to Houston TX for Buly and checked out the owner, who had no experience in EZ types but was very current in Cherokee he owned.

 He had a house on a grass field and wanted to base it there.  I checked him out on hard surfaces and told him about the perils of grass field Ops.  He went ahead anyway.

Haven't heard how he fared but months later, did see a picture that Buly sent me of the plane sporting a brand new aluminum nose gear strut.  Looked like it was milled out of a solid billet and it looked really nice... and probably cost a small fortune.

You can reach Buly at  <bulent.enginegear@...> He may have more info relative to how the Doctors machine is doing.
Vance Atkinson

On 7/25/2020 10:13 AM, 'Phil Kriley' via COZY Builders Mailing List wrote:
I avoid grass even for taxiing if at all possible and would never consider landing/taking off from grass.  Beats the hell out of landing gear and wheel pants.  Damaged my wheel pants at OSH and at Rough River.

Phil Kriley

I have 30 years of grass experience.  None of it in a canard.  I would love to use grass for my plane when finished.  I won't - unless I know it's a long and expertly maintained daily.  Armadillos leave terrible holes, can't imagine what happens to our nose gear when you hit one.  There are also moles which leave their mole hills as mountains if you don't see them in time.  I know of a grass strip at Leeward air ranch in Ocala,  It's the only one I'd use - but haven't seen it in years.  Used to have a few canards there.

Everyone I talk to recommends against it, including Marc a couple weeks ago.