From: Vance Atkinson
Sent: Saturday, July 25, 2020 11:16 AM
To: cozy_builders@...; Bulent Aliev; Canard Aviators
Subject: Re: [c-a] COZY: Is anyone currently operating off a grass strip with a cozy MK IV

About a year or so ago a doctor bought Bulent Aliev's very nice Cozy 4 that was based in Florida.  I ferried it to Houston TX for Buly and checked out the owner, who had no experience in EZ types but was very current in Cherokee he owned.

 He had a house on a grass field and wanted to base it there.  I checked him out on hard surfaces and told him about the perils of grass field Ops.  He went ahead anyway.

Haven't heard how he fared but months later, did see a picture that Buly sent me of the plane sporting a brand new aluminum nose gear strut.  Looked like it was milled out of a solid billet and it looked really nice... and probably cost a small fortune.

You can reach Buly at  <bulent.enginegear@...> He may have more info relative to how the Doctors machine is doing.
Vance Atkinson

On 7/25/2020 10:13 AM, 'Phil Kriley' via COZY Builders Mailing List wrote:

I avoid grass even for taxiing if at all possible and would never consider landing/taking off from grass.  Beats the hell out of landing gear and wheel pants.  Damaged my wheel pants at OSH and at Rough River.

Phil Kriley

I have 30 years of grass experience.  None of it in a canard.  I would love to use grass for my plane when finished.  I won't - unless I know it's a long and expertly maintained daily.  Armadillos leave terrible holes, can't imagine what happens to our nose gear when you hit one.  There are also moles which leave their mole hills as mountains if you don't see them in time.  I know of a grass strip at Leeward air ranch in Ocala,  It's the only one I'd use - but haven't seen it in years.  Used to have a few canards there.

Everyone I talk to recommends against it, including Marc a couple weeks ago.