Re: COZY: Long EZ and Cozy plans brake question.

Ron Springer

The upgrade kit to turn 199-102 brakes (0.187” rotors) into 199-156 brakes (0.3” rotors) is 199-093 and runs over $700 at Aircraft Spruce. This might be what Dell needs.

I made my own upgrade kit by buying two Rapco rotors, making my own spacers, and buying longer caliper bolts. It is new and sitting here still because due to other issues with my Cleveland wheels I just bought a whole new set of Groves.

I will sell the new Rapco rotors for half price and throw in the homemade spacers for free if anyone wants them.

Ron

On Jul 26, 2020, at 9:03 PM, Orr <david@...> wrote:

Too big for the Long EZ - there was/may be a Cleveland upgrade kit but Cleveland prices have skyrocketed.

David Orr

On 7/26/2020 10:22 AM, Kent or Jackie Ashton wrote:
The Cleveland “Heavy Duty” >2200 lbs brakes recommended in the plans for the Cozy IV were the #199-152 kit here
https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/lgpages/cleve_heavydutywb.php

Yeah, the rotors were thicker than the usual EZ. Something like 3/8” vs 1/4”. Not really adequate for a Cozy IV but good for an EZ and a little less fiddly to maintain than Matcos.
-Kent

On Jul 26, 2020, at 12:50 PM, Del Schier <cozypilot@...> wrote:
I have been helping a friend that purchased a nice EZ. I just flew it for him for the second time this morning. I actually like flying it better than my Cozy except the cabin air vent is almost useless here in FL.
We are both wondering if the brakes are OK. I took the Cleveland brakes off my Cozy and put Matco’s on but my old Cozy Clevelands have much thicker rotors; about twice as thick as his EZ. I thought the original plans brakes for the Cozy were the same as an EZ and the same thing as on a Cessna 150; is that not correct? The numbers are long gone off of both sets of Clevelands so it is hard to look up the minimum thickness.
We think the EZ brakes have .163” for minimum rotor thickness. My old work Cozy discs read about .340”
Thanks in advance for any help.
Del Schier
Cozy IV N197DL
Cannon Creek Airpark 15FL