Re: Nice Long-EZ video on FlightChops

aviationeyes

Hi Bob, If I ever get up to your neck of the woods, I'll beg you for a ride in your plane for gentle aerobatics. I'm too chicken to do by myself!
--Jose

On Sat, Jul 25, 2020, at 10:54 AM, Bob Holliston wrote:
Jose, that's exactly right, A barrel roll is 1 G all the way around if done properly after the pull up and you can't "feel" it. When my wife was more enthusiastic about flying with me than she is now, on cross country's I'd practice barrel rolls while she was sleeping in the back seat. Wouldn't wake her up either. A way to "cheat" is to push forward on the stick (progressively) as you go inverted so you're (almost but not quite) going negative. That way you don't have to pull the nose up as far and finish the roll less nose down. When my niece was going through the Air Force Academy she belonged to the glider club but had never flown a powered plane. When she was home on leave in summer I'd take her flying. After some practice she could do rolls from the back seat just as good as I could from the front. Now she flies C 140 (Super Herc's)  over the Atlantic refueling fighters on their way to Yerp. In the photo I AM going negative but I have a flop tube in the sump for inverted flight.

On Fri, Jul 24, 2020 at 8:22 PM aviationeyes <skyeyecorp@...> wrote:

Ok, ok , I was casually thinking "gentleman aerobatics". So what is the perceived g load on the top of a well executed barrel roll? Should feel the same as in level flight (1G),no?
--Jose.

On Fri, Jul 24, 2020, at 5:29 PM, Bob Holliston wrote:
Jose, what are 1 G aerobatics? You exceed 1 G just pulling the nose up to do a barrel roll. A loop (or a cuban eight) is around 4 G's. EZ's are fine for "gentleman aerobatics". Not so fine for inverted flat spins, etc. LOL.

On Fri, Jul 24, 2020 at 1:45 PM aviationeyes <skyeyecorp@...> wrote:

Congrats to Kyle for a nice video showing off his airshow Long-EZ on the Flightchops youtube channel. Its good to bring exposure to the type.  The type was never recommended for aerobatics, but I've seen several Vari's and Long's doing 1 G aerobatics. Harmless enough, if properly trained as Kyle obviously is.
--Jose

Attachments:
  • upside down.png