From: Keith Spreuer <kspreuer@...>
To: Canard Aviators <canard-aviators@canardzone.groups.io>
Sent: Mon, Aug 3, 2020 1:47 pm
Subject: Re: [c-a] GOING TO AVALON?

The runway is OK. It is not as smooth as most mainland  runways but only annoying rather than damaging. Catalina has a couple quirks. One is that it has a high middle so you can not see one end when at the other end. People often use runway 22 even with a slight down wind and at the same time people may use 7. This can lead to a very unpleasant surprise. The other quirk is that the  runway is on a hill top. So the approach for 22 (and somewhat for 7) is toward a steep hill side. This gives an unusual perception of being too high on final. Added to that is if the wind is down the runway then the air is sinking on short final. This is why most flying clubs require a check out flight with an instructor. I don't think that is necessary but awareness is recommended..
keith

On Mon, Aug 3, 2020 at 1:27 PM Torger Totusek via groups.io <regrot=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
Hi Tom and others,

I would ask a more important question.. What is the runway like at Avalon? Who has been over there since the Marines came in and reworked/resurfaced the runway? I don't go over there with my Long-EZ because of the potential of losing my nose gear. It has been a while since I was there with a Cessna and I recall it was pretty rough. Hopefully someone will chime in and let us know what the condition of the runway is now.. Also if you have never flown into Avalon be careful. The hills slope up to the runway so there is no peripheral clues to height and it tapers downhill at the end. Be on speed, watch the winds/updrafts and use caution..

Anyone out there know???

Torger T
Long-EZ N606TT
Fullerton, CA