Re: Varieze Brake Bleeding

Phil Kriley

Not 1.5 to 3 turns, but 1.5 to 3 turns PAST finger tight.

Phil Kriley

On Aug 29, 2020, at 7:49 PM, Todd DeVito via groups.io <devitotl@...> wrote:

Thanks.  Knowing I need to screw them in 1.5 - 3 turns is extremely helpful.

I just ordered some thread sealant.

Todd

On Saturday, August 29, 2020, 04:30:11 PM PDT, Marc J. Zeitlin <marc.j.zeitlin@...> wrote:

Todd DeVito wrote:

The bleed nipples I received have about twice as much thread as the plugs that were in the hole.  I'm guessing I should just screw them in until they are tight, even if threads are still showing.  Is that right?

Assuming that you've got calipers with standard 1/8" NPT threads, you screw them in 1.5 - 3 turns past finger tight, or about 12 in-lb.

Also, is it a good idea or a bad idea to wrap the threads in teflon tape before I screw them in?

It's a bad idea to use teflon tape on ANY fluid connection on an airplane, as a poor installation can easily allow a small piece of torn tape to clog the line. I only recommend teflon NPT thread sealant:

You can generally get the equivalent at a local auto parts store. You don't need much - one thread's worth, 1 - 2 threads up from the bottom (so you don't get sealant into the fitting) works fine.