Re: one wire alternator

Tom Smith

Been running the same alt in my EZ for 19 years still putting out 14.1 volts, One wire.

Tom Smith  A&P/IA
Long-EZ N12TS
Cell-707-592-0869
KVCB
KJ6PZN

-----Original Message-----
To: canard-aviators@canardzone.groups.io
Sent: Sun, Sep 6, 2020 12:47 pm
Subject: Re: [c-a] one wire alternator

Do you want an internally-regulated alternator?  Bob Nuckolls does not recommend them because they don’t incorporate crowbar overvoltage protection.  See www.aeroelectric.com/articles  “The truth about crowbar OV protection"

Anyway, IG must receive 12V to power the field windings.  No power to the field = no output,  “S” Sense must be connected near the battery to vary the voltage output for the load.

It is not much work to convert a Denso to external regulation.    Here is one way.  There are a couple more ways to do it.  https://www.canardzone.com/forums/topic/18661-kents-long-ez-project/?do=findComment&comment=61828
-Kent

> On Sep 6, 2020, at 2:18 PM, johntoelaer via groups.io <johntoelaer=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
>
> It is a 35 amp Denso or Nippondenso.  Dont know the make of the internal voltage regulator.  Google yielded a wireing diagram for a 3 wire Denso.  Mine has the 3 terminals but I assumed only the "batt" was an active terminal.  Out of desperation today, I added a wire from the "IG" term.  to the master solonoid  Will test tommorow.  If that doesnt work I am off to NAPA.
> N138ez
>

Join canard-aviators@canardzone.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.