Re: COZY: RE: [c-a] Lean of peak (LOP) Operations

Del Schier

Thanks Tim,

I did realize that I could balance them myself but apparently the old injectors on my engine do not come apart. At least an A&P friend told me that I had the old style and they could not be disassembled for cleaning or anything else.  I thought new Lycoming injectors were something outrageous like $280 each but I just found some under $100 each.  If all I have to spend is $400 it would probably pay for itself in fuel in not too long.

I have to find where to get replacements, I suspect there are not too many variations for a Lycoming.

Del Schier

Cozy IV N197DL

Cannon Creek Airpark 15FL

From: canard-aviators@canardzone.groups.io <canard-aviators@canardzone.groups.io> On Behalf Of Tim Andres
Sent: Tuesday, December 8, 2020 11:35 AM
To: canard-aviators@canardzone.groups.io
Subject: Re: COZY: RE: [c-a] Lean of peak (LOP) Operations

Del, you dont need to spend a kilo buck to get the injectors balanced, more like $50 and some gas. You do a “Gami spread” test to determine which injector(s) are hitting peak egt first. Then order up the proper injector inserts for your injector to adjust them so they all peak at the same fuel flow.  The injector inserts are something like $15 each IIRC, and the folks at Airflow performance can supply you with the Gami spread test instructions for the test and the inserts you need after you give them the flight data. 

You say yours runs well 35-40° LOP, so its probably not too far out, but when nicely balanced you can lean past 80° or more. Mine would never start missing, all 4 would just quit at the same time. 

Tim Andres 

On Dec 8, 2020, at 9:12 AM, cozypilot@... wrote:

Thanks for the LOP tread Marc! 

I didn’t realize Mike Bush’s avweb would do the data analysis for free.  I will have to download the data from my Dynon EMS and send it to avweb! I would like to see the results.

I have always run LOP with my IO360. It will run at about 40 to 45 deg LOP.  I do wait to lean it out until I am at altitude and in cruise, I don’t like doing it in climb. I haven’t sprung the $1000 to get new GAMI calibrated injectors. My engine seems to lean out fairly evenly with readings between 35 to 45 deg LOP and running smoothly.

Mike Bush says not to use the LOP feature of the engine monitors like my Dynon EMS  because leaning slowly is the only way to make the Dynon get a reading Mike says that slow leaning puts  at peak for too long. 

I wonder why Dynon couldn’t record the average peak readings and put them in a lookup table then you could pull the mixture back quickly until it gets rough and still show the LOP reading.  I would think the peak EGT would be  consistent for a given engine.

Del Schier

Cozy IV N197DL

Cannon Creek Airpark 15FL

Join canard-aviators@canardzone.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.