Re: COZY: Oil Separator

saccani@y7mail.com

I don’t think there is much chance of data supporting it.  Those who object to sump return are in the main concerned with the return of acids to the sump.  In principle, I suppose that acid vapours may be cooled and condense and be returned in some circumstances.  I think it unlikely to be a significant issue, given that aircraft engines usually spend long periods with the oil more than hot enough to evaporate acids from blow-by - at worst, it will take a little longer.

Crankcase ventilation in piston engined aircraft is generally, well, if not antiquated, certainly old fashioned.  A modern crankcase ventilation system, deliberately introducing filtered air into the crankcase and ventilating by a combined PCV valve/oil separator, returning the residue to the sump is vastly superior in reducing acid in the oil - even if vented into the induction system instead of directly overboard.  The PCV/Separator in suitable sizes can be obtained as a BMW spare part for their larger petrol engines.  Whistle slots and slits in case of icing still need consideration.

Cheers,
Paul Saccani

On 16 Jun 2021, at 08:22, Marc J. Zeitlin <marc_zeitlin@...> wrote:

vance atkinson wrote:

Try the Cozy Girrls... they make a really nice one....

I have theirs as well - probably their beta unit :-).

I would NOT plumb it so the oil goes back into the sump.  That is some nasty stuff. Instead I took one of my wife's Revlon bottles and plumbed the return into it.

I do the same - I've got a collection bottle that I empty maybe once/year or so. However, I have a hard time believing that routing the stuff the unit collects back into the sump is a problem - it just came OUT of the sump, so it's already been in there. No? I just had no handy place to dump it back in, and I didn't feel like modifying the oil filler, or a return line, or the exhaust pipe - the collection bottle was just the easiest solution.

I'd be interested in seeing some objective data indicating that running the separator residue back into the sump is a bad idea, and why...

--
Marc J. Zeitlin                      marc_zeitlin@...
                                            http://www.cozybuilders.org/
Copyright © 2021                     Burnside Aerospace

--
You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "COZY Builders Mailing List" group.
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to cozy_builders+unsubscribe@....
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/cozy_builders/CAMCASg7VfsCB34JqCmX71pHeNh7KpB28bT2C4gkTLdFM5%3D7Mzw%40mail.gmail.com.

Join canard-aviators@canardzone.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.