Re: Towing planes into hangar - was: Easy way to balance CHTs

Del Schier

Yes Marc,

I agree, it is a lousy place to tow from.  I did, however, always pull straight in so there were never side loads; only a compression load of the force of two people pushing the airplane.  I cannot push it up my apron by myself.

Today I fixed the rope, and also tried to fix the lousy remote for the Harbor Junk winch so I can stay alongside the airplane.  I also found an old 12V power supply that runs the winch so I don’t have to go get a car battery in 95 deg weather.

See the attached picture. I think the “!” way will be easier to attach and won’t come undone letting the Cozy roll back down the apron and flip on the tail. I just hope it won’t damage the gear leg fairing: I put a hose around the rope.

The real reason for my recent post was to tell everyone how well the CHT balancing worked and how easy that was to do.  I got no comments??

Del Schier

Cozy IV N197DL

Cannon Creek Airpark 15FL

From: canard-aviators@canardzone.groups.io <canard-aviators@canardzone.groups.io> On Behalf Of Marc J. Zeitlin
Sent: Friday, August 13, 2021 8:51 PM
To: Canard Aviators <canard-aviators@canardzone.groups.io>
Subject: [c-a] Towing planes into hangar - was: Easy way to balance CHTs

Del Schier wrote:

Even though I had the nose partially down when the winch rope jumped off the gear foot it flipped on the tail.

Folks - PLEASE do not tow your plane by attaching a winch/rope/chain/whatever to the lower part of your nose gear. The gear on our EZ's was NOT designed to take any substantial side loads, nor to take substantial loads in the forward direction.

If you're going to tow the plane, attach the tow rope/whatever above the NG-3/NG-4 metal bits, so that the loading moment arm is much lower and the forces are applied nearer to the connection with the fuselage. Much safer for the aircraft. 

--

Marc J. Zeitlin                      marc_zeitlin@...

http://www.cozybuilders.org/

Copyright © 2021                     Burnside Aerospace

Join canard-aviators@canardzone.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.