Re: Towing planes into hangar - was: Easy way to balance CHTs

David A Froble

On 8/16/2021 12:57 PM, Del Schier wrote:
Hi Terry,

I just went and looked at it and I think I know what you see. The space
between the plates does look even in person.

I did have it all apart when my NG3 bracket failed and it ground the
foot off for the nose lift. I put it back together by sanding
everything with 80 grit and putting flox around the gear leg; then
snugging the bolts. After it cured, I torqued the bolts to ¼” AN specs.
I'd be a bit careful about that torque. The bolt and nut are rather strong. A bunch of torque might crush flox before stretching the bolt.

No, I don't have any idea what might be appropriate ...

I probably cleaned out any flox that oozed out between the metal.

I figured I wanted the clamping force on the leg not on flox between the
metal plates. It makes sense what you said, however, the metal does
flex. Maybe I should just fill in the gap at this point. I probably
put it back together like it was before the gear collapse.

Del Schier

Cozy IV N197DL

Cannon Creek Airpark 15FL

From: "Del Schier" <cozypilot@comcast.net <mailto:cozypilot@comcast.net>>
To: <canard-aviators@canardzone.groups.io
<mailto:canard-aviators@canardzone.groups.io>>
Subject: Re: [c-a] Towing planes into hangar - was: Easy way to balance CHTs
Date: Sat, 14 Aug 2021 17:08:22 -0400

Yes Marc,

I agree, it is a lousy place to tow from. I did, however, always pull
straight in so there were never side loads; only a compression load of
the force of two people pushing the airplane. I cannot push it up my
apron by myself.

Today I fixed the rope, and also tried to fix the lousy remote for the
Harbor Junk winch so I can stay alongside the airplane. I also found an
old 12V power supply that runs the winch so I don’t have to go get a car
battery in 95 deg weather.

See the attached picture. I think the “!” way will be easier to attach
and won’t come undone letting the Cozy roll back down the apron and flip
on the tail. I just hope it won’t damage the gear leg fairing: I put a
hose around the rope.

The real reason for my recent post was to tell everyone how well the CHT
balancing worked and how easy that was to do. I got no comments??

Del Schier

Cozy IV N197DL

Cannon Creek Airpark 15FL

*From:* canard-aviators@canardzone.groups.io