Re: PROP RPM VS CRUISE SPEED AND TAKE-OFF PERFORMANCE

David A Froble

David Domeier wrote:

Al,
I know what RAF says about over speeding a Lycoming.

Granted lots of guys have done it, but do we really know what's going on
in the accessory case at 2900-3000 rpm? How much over the rpm limit can
one go before the mags, fuel pump, valve train or propeller start to
come apart; 2900, 3000, 3500?

I reckon we really do not know and that's my point. Flying at more than
2700 rpm should not be SOP.
A well designed and built engine should be good for this and more. The problem
is, it's not been proven capable of doing so. Asked a former airshow pilot
about this once. He routinely saw the mid 3000s while flying his routine. His
feeling was that he never knew when or if the engine would quit, but he always
expected it to do so. He wouldn't fly distances, trailered his Pitts to
Sun-N-Fun. The EZ types are designed for traveling. Pilots EXPECT the engine
to keep running. I'm sympathetic with this opinion.

Dave

Dave Froble Enterprises, Inc. Fax: 724-529-0596
DFE Ultralights, Inc. E-Mail: davef@...
T-Soft, Inc. 170 Grimplin Road Vanderbilt, PA 15486