From: Steve Volovsek [mailto:smurfbear@msn.com]
Sent: Monday, March 15, 2004 8:19 AM
To: amendala@msn.com; canard-aviators@yahoogroups.com
Subject: RE: [c-a] Stainless Layup Rollers - Feedback?

Greetings Andy,

I have tried these fiberglass "toys" as a potential replacement for
stippling and squeeging, and have found that the grooved rollers were
designed for mat glass (roving) for boats. It does not work as well as the
squeegy and stippling method with the addition of a heat gun. The heat gun
is the trick. However, be carefull about trying to heat in one place for
more that 2-4 seconds, as it WILL heat the foam under the glass and melt the

foam. Go easy at first, and you will find the heat gun and stippling works
best for woven glass, to include the Rutan bi and unidrectional weaved
cloth. I have also found that fast, jabbing of the disposable paint brush
used for stippling does not work as well as steady pressing of the bristles
to get the air out. Squeegy first, stipple with heat later.

The heat gun I have used is a "two speed" electric paint heater/remover heat

gun you can get at Lowe's or Home Depot. About $35.00. Best money I ever
spent on my project besides a Dremel tool and shop vac. Stippling with a
heat gun makes a lot better layup than those dumb rollers.

Steve V.
Suffolk, VA
Fuel injected, big canopy, IO-320 Long EZ getting sanded, and sanded, and
sanded........and rubbed, and sanded....

I was thinking of switching over to something I can clean easier with
acetone or vinegar without having to dispose of the cloth roller every two
or three layups (gets expensive).

Spruce sells this thing:

http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/cmpages/grooveroller.php

---