Building Skils and Age of Builders

Jim Rodrian

I'm taking the time to respond because of the statement "the younger set
does not have any skills to build an aircraft."

I started my Defiant project in 1984. I'm currently 57 years old and within
a year of flying the Defiant, after 22 years of building. It has taken this
long because my family (wife and 3 children) came first and the pay back has
been significant.

My oldest son, in particular, can do a fiberglass wet lay up or vacuum
bagged pre-preg lay up better than anyone I know. He designed and built an
RC aerobatic aircraft with a 1.5 (2.0?) meter wing span, while a Senior at
Purdue. The aircraft was flown, in competition, by the Central America RC
aerobatic champion. He also designed and machined the molds to make the
vacuum bagged, graphite fuselage and wing panels. Currently he is working
for a small aerospace company. His responsibilities include morphing wing
structural design. His design recently performed very well in wind tunnel
tests at Langley.

Some of the younger set is interested in building aircraft if we "older
guys" take the time to give them the opportunity to experience the
satisfaction of building an aircraft, or go cart, or . . . .

Jim Rodrian
Grafton, WI