Emag/Pmag Discussion

Jim Rodrian

Allow me to approach the subject of electronic product reliability from the
perspective of an Electronics Engineer with 30 years experience designing
microcontroller based products. The products I designed (about 30) are/were
manufactured in volumes from 1,000 per year to 100,000 per year. They were
designed to meet the requirements of agricultural, industrial, commercial
and residential environments/markets.

The common requirement for these diverse products is they had to work
reliably and perform their intended function. A field failure rate of 0.1%
was too high. This was true for something as simple as an electronic paper
towel dispenser. (No, not the one you wave your hand to get the paper to
dispense.) It was also true for something as simple as a residential water
softener control. It was especially true for industrial controls that could
affect the safe operation of complex equipment and processes.

From what I have read, I surmise the field failure rates of Emag and Pmag
are considerably higher than 0.1%, probably much higher than 1%. This would
be unacceptable for agricultural, commercial, industrial, or residential
electronic products. Why is it acceptable for a safety of flight product?

Jim Rodrian, PE

Grafton, WI

Defiant N403R in the process of final assembly for first flight.