Re: Cancellation of Rutan Trubute flyby. Attn: Mr. Poberezny, Mr. Knapinski and Mr. Smith

John ten

Actually Pat,

it is neither right or wrong. It just happens to differ from your view of the world.

Continuing to support/empower/endorse/pay for the actions of those who no longer serve the greater good is daft.

Walking away is completely valid. A broken wagon full of good people is still useless....

Cheers

John

--- In canard-aviators@..., Pat Panzera <panzera@...> wrote:

Guys,

This is the wrong attitude.

A little over a week ago, standing outside the Chris Heintz dinner located
in a tent adjacent to the Nature Center, Paul Poberezny said to a small
group of us. "Look around... all this is yours." He then went on to tell us
the history of the grounds and why they are kept the way they are.

We can't bring change to *OUR* group by bailing out. We also can't do it by
butting heads with those in charge, who are there by our doing*. You have
more say that you might think.
*when was the last time you voted, or otherwise campaigned, for (or against)
the election of a board member? Remember, they work for us.
http://www.eaa.org/sportaviationmag/2010/1010_EAAMeetingMinutes.pdf

And if you think you'll be better represented by AOPA, you're fooling
yourself. For GA, maybe, but for EAB, no way.

We are represented: http://www.eaa.org/homebuilders/prOGrams/council.asp
Maybe these guys need to hear from you? Maybe you need to be on the HB
council yourself?
http://www.eaa.org/homebuilders/prOGrams/council_charter.asp
There are some seats available.

There is also a board of directors who might be interested in hearing from
you, not to mention the new President/CEO.
http://www.eaa.org/media/rod_hightower.pdf He considers himself a
homebuilder, having restored a Stearman.

A few years ago the EAA created (and filled) a new, full-time position for
someone strong in homebuilding. The person who was promoted into that
position recently quit, leaving a void to fill. Maybe consider filling it?
http://www.eaa.org/careers/homebuilt.asp

If you are for change, then don't quit. Maybe even consider becoming a
lifetime member. If you aren't a member then change that now. You don't have
a voice if you are not a member.

And don't begrudge the attention paid to the Zenith and Sonex builders or
RV assemblers, they're on your side; they are builders of
experimental, amateur-built aircraft too, many of whom feel the same way you
do.

Recently I was at a meeting of EAA publications. There was one a-hole
(thankfully not on staff and one who wouldn't know an EZ from an RV) who was
literally promoting the removal of the word Experimental from our groups
name. Don't let him win.

Pat

On Tue, Aug 9, 2011 at 12:54 PM, S. Ramirez <simon@...> wrote:

Ryszard,

Thanks for writing this rant. I wholeheartedly agree with you, and my
response like others is to vote with my pocketbook. I can think of better
ways to spend my money. Hopefully, the HAA will become a reality, and we'll
start this cycle all over again.

Simon Ramirez
Oviedo, FL USA

On 8/9/2011 10:35 AM, Ryszard wrote:

Dear Mr. Poberezny, Mr. Knapinski and Mr. Smith

I'm finding hard to have any sympathy for EAA's plight over this situation.
All of the criticism you're receiving I personally believe you deserve. It
seems you're rather oblivious to the fact that all this criticism isn't the
result of the single incident that occurred on what was supposed to be "Burt
Rutan Day". This is a culmination of decades of people being treated
indifferently by an organization that's built its success on those very
people. Mr. Smith, it's obvious that you aren't grasping the nature of this
when you make statements like: *"now being analyzed for deep political
meaning on the internet forums, etc.",* and; *"reinforce a feeling that
EAA doesn't care about homebuilts". * It might behoove you to research the
Canard Aviators forum archives. You'll find disillusionment with EAA has
been growing at a rate very similar to the growth of the EAA's net worth.
That same disillusionment has been expressed to EAA over the same time
period, but the obvious result proved last week is no one was listening.