From: David Froble davef@... [canard-aviators]
To: Dick Finn
Sent: Wed, Sep 17, 2014 10:48 am
Subject: Re: [c-a] Polishing Aluminum

If you sand aluminum, it will no longer have a smooth finish, if it ever
did have one. Been there, done that. Sand before anodizing, and it
really looks bad.

If you want to polish aluminum, you can buff or burnish it with a soft
cloth wheel.

Dick Finn COZY7971@... [canard-aviators] wrote:

> I'm having some trouble polishing my hinges for the nose access door.
> After building the hinges for the FHC I was inspired to do the same for
> the nose door. The hinges are completed and fitted so I had a go at
> polishing the aluminum much like I did with the hinges for the FHC.
>
> From the beginning a significant portion of the metal had a haze. I
> continued starting with 120 grit sandpaper and working up to 1000 grit
> (same as with the canopy hinges. The haze remained. I then tried to
> buff it out. Part of the metal now looks like chrome while the
> remainder still has the haze.
>
> This was a left over piece of 1/8" aluminum. It has to be from either
> AS&S or Wickes since that is the only place I've ever bought aluminum
> (in other words, its aircraft grade and not hardware store supplied.
>
> Does anyone have a suggestion?

Dave Froble Enterprises, Inc. E-Mail: davef@...
DFE Ultralights, Inc.
170 Grimplin Road