Re: Fw: TCAS/ADS-B discussion

Christopher Seats

I agree, lets get this conversation under the correct subject line and discuss the ADS-B out solutions

On Monday, September 29, 2014 10:56 AM, "Jeff Barnes jcbarnes411@... [canard-aviators]" wrote:

Hi Folks,

      Can we change to this subject line instead of dragging our Young Eagle and pilot through several days of really productive discussions on already existing technology ?

Thanks,

Jeff Barnes
YE Pilot 27187
1087 young eagles flown

From: "'SD-Ramirez, Simon' simon@... [canard-aviators]"
Cc: CSA
Sent: Monday, September 29, 2014 8:52 AM
Subject: Re: [c-a] Fatal Young Eagle collision

I know this sounds selfish, but I'd rather save my own butt and my passenger's butt than people (adults and children) in Africa.

One of the good things about ADS-B is onboard weather.  Since we fly long distance aircraft, I think weather is essential.  I know I appreciated the hel out of it when I had the Garmin 496 with XM weather.  Now you pay the one time fee for the equipment, and you get not only weather but better situation awareness, which is what David is looking at.  I'd rather have peace of mind knowing what I'm flying into than helping people in Africa.  We have our problems, they have theirs.  I don't see them sending us money to solve ours.

And as Marc said, the lives saved by ADS-B is minimal and insignificant.  It's insignificant until it's my own asse or someone I know.  Nonetheless, the probability is very small, so I'd do it for weather.

Simon Ramirez Oviedo, FL 32765 USA

On 9/29/2014 9:30 AM, Kent or Jackie Ashton kjashton@... [canard-aviators] wrote:

On Sep 29, 2014, at 12:12 AM, David Froble davef@... [canard-aviators] wrote:

> if every
> thing in the air was transmitting, and receiving, location and vector of
> all near-by aircraft, there just might be a lot fewer mid-air
> collisions, and perhaps one less dead 14 yr old child.

Let us think outside the box here:

If your goal is to save lives--or children--, they are dying by the wagon-load in Africa and the middle east. Why not take the millions we will spend on ADS-B and use it to save a few of those lives? I would rather pay the one-time-aircraft-tax-to-save-ebola-children than buy a box that only increases my safety microscopically. Too logical?

Then consider that adding another $1000-3000 to the cost of operating an airplane will inevitably push some people over the line into driving . . . and kill more of them than mid-airs.

OTOH, a $1000-$3000 ADS-B expense will certainly ground a few marginal fliers and lower the mid-air rate.
-Kent