Re: S & F

David A Froble

Tough situation.

If it's the owner, then not much can be done.

If it's an FAA certified repairman, then why not inform the FAA of the problem,
and maybe they'll put out a notice to repairmen about dark colors and how the
designed specified light colors or white. Yeah, maybe there are some who want
to stay as far from the FAA as possible, but, this is what they are there for.

I'd say that re-painting a composite aircraft dark colors is a 'major' change,
and should require a new inspection, which it should fail.

Not a good situation, but, do we want fiberglass falling out of the sky?

Gotta agree with Paul.

Dave

"Paul W. Krasa" wrote:

The debate about color went on a few months back. After doing some
research, it is my opinion that an EZ painted in dark colors is
unairworthy. The long term degradation will eventual cause enough fiber
creep that something will fail. With many second and third hand owners of
EZs, it was going to happen. The real problem is that the A&Ps who are
signing off the annual condition inspection do not know it is a problem.

Paul
Long EZ 214LP

At 07:58 PM 4/24/2001 -0400, bw wrote:
When I looked at this bird I could visible tell from a distance that the 80+
degrees was drooping the wings lower than the surrounding Ez wings were at.
I thought the same thing.
Bw