Re: COZY: ADS-B in on the cheap

Jim Rodrian

Tom,

I have a friend, Jeff, that has been using Stratux with ForeFlight for several months.  It works.  Jeff is doing a "Stratux build" at the next chapter meeting for several members. But, he is the first person to warn it is "experimental".  It is open source software which means upgrades and fixes are at the whim of random contributors.  Which also means it will be very difficult for ForeFlight to insure their product is compatible with Stratux.

Jim R
Defiant
N403R

Jim

On Mar 16, 2016, at 3:38 PM, 'Tom Mann' tmann@... [canard-aviators] <canard-aviators-noreply@...> wrote:

That would be great if they opened the door to Stratux.
I know that some have said that while ForeFlight doesn’t currently support Stratux, Wing-X does and so some have converted.

Sent: Wednesday, March 16, 2016 2:32 PM
Subject: [c-a] RE: COZY: ADS-B in on the cheap

Yes I had heard that so I asked Foreflight; here is their answer:

Hi Del,

Gary here - thanks for your email.

I will forward your suggestion that the Stratux be supported in the future.

Let us know if there is anything else we can do - we are happy to help.

Gary Peterson
Pilot Support Team
ForeFlight, LLC

Perhaps they did not disable it intentionally, perhaps they make big bucks selling Stratus’.

Del Schier

Cozy IV N197DL

Ex LongEZ N103JB

Cannon Creek Airpark 15FL

From: cozy_builders@... [mailto:cozy_builders@...] On Behalf Of OldMster
Sent: Wednesday, March 16, 2016 2:44 PM
To: COZY Builders Mailing List <cozy_builders@...>
Cc: k1uhf@...; tmann@...; Canard-Aviators@...
Subject: Re: COZY: ADS-B in on the cheap

Foreflight made changes to disable AHRS from these Stratux devices.  If you want to use it with Foreflight, there is no reason to spend the $ on the AHRS board.

Mark

On Wednesday, March 16, 2016 at 2:36:05 PM UTC-4, Silas Thomas wrote:

Wow, this is awesome! I love seeing new uses for the RasberryPi.

On Wed, Mar 16, 2016 at 10:59 AM, Del Schier K1UHF <k1uhf@...> wrote:

I did the ADS-B in part and it works great with Foreflight on my iPad.  I purchased the AHRS/GPS board but I haven’t hooked it up and tried that yet.

I also helped two neighbors at the airpark and it is working well for them also.

Del Schier

Cozy IV N197DL

Ex LongEZ N103JB

Cannon Creek Airpark 15FL

From: cozy_builders@... [mailto:cozy_builders@...] On Behalf Of Tom Mann
Sent: Wednesday, March 16, 2016 10:43 AM
To: Canard-Aviators@...; cozy_builders@...
Subject: COZY: ADS-B in on the cheap

One of our EAA members presented a program on building your own ADS-B receiver on the cheap. A couple of them have done this and claim it works great.

EAA had a write-up on it: Stratux assembly.

We are talking traffic, weather and AHRS for a total of $175. That includes both ADS-B in frequencies.

More information here: Stratux

--

Silas Thomas
650-906-2229

Join canard-aviators@canardzone.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.