Re: Odyssey 680 pickle

Jim Rodrian

Steve,

What is the basis for your statement "the connection between the cells are designed to fail"?

I have two Odyssey PC 680's in my Defiant.  I replaced both of them last year.  Both had 5 years (250 hours Hobbs time) of "flying" time on them.  One was seven years old, the other was six years old.  Both were working perfectly!  The Lycoming O-360 engines usually started in 2 blades of rotation (with Slick mags.). On one occasion the plane sat in the hanger (60 F) for 6 months without an engine start and no "trickle" charging of the batteries.  After that 6 month period, both engines started in 2 or 3 blades of rotation.

The batteries in the Defiant are charged at 14.5 volts during flight.  Whenever the avionics are ON (for 2 year pitot/static/transponder check) the battery supplying the load is charged with the Odyssey "smart charger" designs specifically to charge the Odessey battery.

Jim Rodrian
Defiant N403R

On May 13, 2016, at 4:40 PM, Steve Hall stevehall@... [canard-aviators] <canard-aviators-noreply@...> wrote:

The connections between the cells are designed to fail!!!
If you get three years on any battery you are lucky!!

Steve

On May 13, 2016, at 5:34 PM, PC uh1cw2@... [canard-aviators] <canard-aviators-noreply@...> wrote:

I gave up on Odyssey batteries 6 years ago. I replace Three Odyssey 925 batteries in 9 years and decided enough was enough. By the way, I had tenders on the last two 24/7.  I went back to concord 35AXC type. It’s large and powerful.  I have had it in the plane for 6 years without issue. It has enough cranking amps to keep the ignition and all electrical in the plane going for at least 2 hours.  Odyssey batteries are way over rated and cost a lot of money for poor quality and minimum longevity.  Don’t let the bright orange color fool you into believing you’re getting anything special, you’re not!

You are better off with a lawn mower / tractor battery than purchasing an Odyssey.

Just expressing my personal experience with the product.

Respectfully,

Phil Camarda

Long EZ Driver