From: Del Schier K1UHF
To: cozy_builders@...; Canard Aviators Sent: Sunday, October 23, 2016 10:50 AM
Subject: COZY: Compact transponder antenna for under the skin.

I recently installed a SkyGuard UAT ADS-B transmitter in the back of my Cozy and have it working with the supplied foot long J-pole antenna suction cupped to the back cabin window.

I would like to have the antenna somewhere on the back floor.  I could put a 1/4 wave whip and ground plane like I have up front but I don't like the big ground plane and that it sticks through.

Looks like this is a nice antenna that can easily be home brewed and will work well under the back seat. See: http://lea.hamradio.si/~s53mv/avionics/tranant.html

It was designed specifically for a transponder in a fiberglass airplane by a very talented RF designer that flies a motor glider.  He has lots of other neat stuff he made for his glider: http://lea.hamradio.si/~s53mv/avionics/avionics.html

I might scale his design for 978 MHz, but as it is it will probably work.  I thought this would be of interest to anyone that has not yet installed a transponder in their canard, or anyone installing ADS-B out.  There are some even more compact, completely flat ones, but not with full instructions for fabrication.

Del Schier
Cozy IV N197DL
Acro Sport II N105JE
Ex LongEZ N103JB