Re: Crash in McKinney

jack hohner

I knew one of the pilots, Greg Barber, we called him "Spanky."  He was flying the Luscombe.  He was active in our EAA Chapter in the 80's when he was stationed at Fairchild AFB flying B-52's.  I believe the reason his nickname was Spanky was because when he war 40 years old he still looked fifteen.  Yes, he was the last pilot to be accepted into the SR-71 program and then it was cancelled.   Spanky went on to fly the U-2.  He was great guy...a real hoot.   He will be missed.

I heard that the pilot of the other plane was his friend and they were flying formation.

Jack Hohner
Spokane, WA