Re: COZY: Stupid Human Tricks - Cable Tie Holder

diver32533

I tried to use them on my Cozy, they would fall off within a week. I could not get them to work for me.

Ron Montgomery

In the pursuit of cheap, lightweight, and readily available cable tie mounting schemes, I've found something to work well for me.

They have a foam rubber tape adhesive that never seems to stick well enough for me unless the surface is perfect - like the one that was stuck to my Lightspeed Ignition controller and wouldn't come off.  I take these things, run them against my $14 Harbor Freight Angle Grinder to remove all the adhesive tape (a process that would give Good Housekeeping a heart attack), and give them a wipe down with acetone.  They are then ready to accept clear RTV silicone.  "But that takes forever to cure!"  I've also recently been trying to spritz a bit of water onto the RTV, shake / blow off the excess, then press it into position.  Haven't done real testing but it seems to accelerate things a bit.

I think under ideal conditions, the adhesive tape will be a much stronger stick.  However, I rarely find this ideal condition in my Vari and have found the RTV'd doodaddles serve my purposes better.

They're available in a couple of different sizes and at many types of retail and online locations.

-Saro