Re: COZY: Stupid Human Tricks - Cable Tie Holder

diver32533

I tried to use them on my Cozy, they would fall off within a week. I could not get them to work for me.

Ron Montgomery

On May 5, 2017, at 12:09 PM, 'Saro Marcarian' via COZY Builders Mailing List <cozy_builders@...> wrote:

In the pursuit of cheap, lightweight, and readily available cable tie mounting schemes, I've found something to work well for me.

They have a foam rubber tape adhesive that never seems to stick well enough for me unless the surface is perfect - like the one that was stuck to my Lightspeed Ignition controller and wouldn't come off.  I take these things, run them against my $14 Harbor Freight Angle Grinder to remove all the adhesive tape (a process that would give Good Housekeeping a heart attack), and give them a wipe down with acetone.  They are then ready to accept clear RTV silicone.  "But that takes forever to cure!"  I've also recently been trying to spritz a bit of water onto the RTV, shake / blow off the excess, then press it into position.  Haven't done real testing but it seems to accelerate things a bit.

I think under ideal conditions, the adhesive tape will be a much stronger stick.  However, I rarely find this ideal condition in my Vari and have found the RTV'd doodaddles serve my purposes better.

They're available in a couple of different sizes and at many types of retail and online locations.

-Saro

Join canard-aviators@canardzone.groups.io to automatically receive all group messages.