Date   

Re: Vacuum Infusion - AirVenture 2018

Russell Emanis
 

Hi guys , we will try to stream some of it. Please let us know what y'all would like to see most and I'll do my best to accommodate


On Tue, Jul 17, 2018, 11:02 AM 'Tom Mann' tmann@... [canard-aviators] <canard-aviators@...> wrote:
 

>Will you be streaming any of it Live on Facebook or YouTube?
 
Not likely. If it were a quick 15 minute demo I would say yes.
 
We may post some condensed video at a later date.
 
T Mann


Re: Vacuum Infusion - AirVenture 2018

Tom Mann <tmann@...>
 

>Will you be streaming any of it Live on Facebook or YouTube?
 
Not likely. If it were a quick 15 minute demo I would say yes.
 
We may post some condensed video at a later date.
 
T Mann


Star ship?

Ion Huss / Lisa Doughty <lisnion@...>
 

I know there's a Starship tied down on the ramp at Aspen airport, fly in and take a look. It has more junk lashed to the roof than an HVAC service van!

Ion
0-320 Long EZ 1510 hrs.


Re: Star ship?

Mike Tooze
 


I recall a Danish Starship seen at Stauning EKVJ.
 I believe operated or associated with the shipyard nearby at Ringkobing

How does this fit into the last five, or is it six?

Mike T



From: "David Kissick geckoinc99@... [canard-aviators]"
To: canard-aviators@...
Sent: Monday, 16 July 2018, 18:55
Subject: Re: [c-a] Star ship?



According to Robert Scherer's page, there are five active starships.  This site has a lot of good info.  


David Kissick
Cozy Mark IV
N579CZ
Chapter 24 - Covers
http://www.cozyserenity.net


On Monday, July 16, 2018, 11:37:03 AM MDT, trcsmith TRCSmith@... [canard-aviators] wrote:


 
Anyone know how meany flying Star Ships there are?
 
Tom Smith  A&P/IA
Long-EZ N12TS
Cell-707-592-0869
KVCB
KJ6PZN






Re: INTERESTING.....

Wolf D.
 

No and yes.
No FAA lic required to fly quads, under FAR 103.
Yes, this vehicle prolly qualifies as an ultralight.

Peace, Wolf

Always, keep the shiny side up.


-------- Original message --------
From: "Buly bulent.enginegear@... [canard-aviators]" <canard-aviators@...>
Date: 07/13/2018 2:22 PM (GMT-06:00)
To: canard-aviators <canard-aviators@...>
Subject: Re: [c-a] INTERESTING.....

 

Wait a minute..... To fly one pound drone you need a FAA license, and no license for that thing?
 
Bulent "Buly" Aliev
CZ MK-IV 
X50 Edgewater, FL


On Fri, Jul 13, 2018 at 2:24 PM vance atkinson nostromo56@... [canard-aviators] <canard-aviators@...> wrote:
 


This machine is supposed to be at OSH this year... Its touting a 25 mile range, I'm just wondering if there will be a recharging station where ever you decide to land....Cool flight characteristics though. Price is supposed to be around the same as a high end SUV.....No pilots license required.
vance atkinson




Watch the video.....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FI8AemQcclY




Opener Reveals Ultralight eVTOL
 
Kate O'Connor
 
325
 

After nine years of covert development and testing, California-based Opener Inc. revealed what it is calling the world’s first ultralight fixed-wing, all-electric vertical take-off and landing (VTOL) aircraft on Thursday. According to the company, the amphibious BlackFly has already completed more than 1,000 flights and flown over 10,000 miles. As an ultralight, the single-seat aircraft does not require an FAA certificate to operate.

“Safety has been our primary driving goal in the development of this new technology,” said Opener CEO Marcus Leng. “Even though not required by FAA regulations, BlackFly operators will be required to successfully complete the FAA Private Pilot written examination and also complete company-mandated vehicle familiarization and operator training.” The aircraft has a ballistic parachute option and is geofence-compatible.

In terms of performance, the BlackFly has a range of up to 25 miles with reserves. In the U.S., its top speed has been regulation-limited to 62 MPH, although the company says the design is capable of speeds greater than 80 MPH. Its maximum payload is 250 pounds with an empty weight of 313 pounds. Opener says the BlackFly is capable of recharging up to 80 percent of its power in less than 30 minutes. The company has not yet announced a price or when they expect to begin deliveries, but it will be displaying the BlackFly at AirVenture this year.




Avast logo

This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.
www.avast.com



Re: COZY: Instructions - Installation of SAE-5 flanged head capacitance fuel level senders in BAB bulkhead

Nick U
 


On Nov 30, 2016, at 7:30 PM, Del Schier K1UHF <k1uhf@...> wrote:

Does anyone have a picture of an installed fuel sender?
 
Del Schier
Cozy IV N197DL
Acro Sport II N105JE
Ex LongEZ N103JB
Cannon Creek Airpark 15FL
 
Del,

You may not be aware but there is an alternative to installing flange based fuel senders in the cabin with the potential for fuel leaks.  This main reason I had to design a probe made to work specially with our canard aircraft instead of adapting a standard probe to make it work.   It is a top-down type design..  You can install them in the top of the strakes which achieves the same results as a side mount system with a lot less effort and zero chance of leakage.  It only took me less than 3 hours to install mine and I didn't even have to drain the tanks.  EZ.   If your building your strakes, install time is about 15 minutes.  

Here are a few pictures of an installed fuel sender you asked about.

the hole


the probe


Finished…  not much to see except an outline (I just replaced the strake skin cutout)  and when I re-paint the plane, they will disappear.  Out of sight and out of mind...

  


---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nick Ugolini

LongEZ N29TM
Charleston, SC www.nickugolini.com  










Re: COZY: 90 or 130 kts

Elwood Johnson
 

Flew in to OSH 15 times and have used both 90 and 130 kt n directed to all except can’t remember landing 36L. I only rejected one landing instruction in all those years. 

Long-EZ N36EJ my own little F16.
Elwood 'EJ' Johnson

On Jul 15, 2018, at 11:29 PM, DONALD BERLIN vette164@... [canard-aviators] <canard-aviators@...> wrote:

 

It is possible, they put me on 27 last year from 2300 feet!


On Jul 15, 2018, at 9:24 PM, 'Curt Boyll' via COZY Builders Mailing List <cozy_builders@...> wrote:

Flying the 135 kt route at 2,300 ft includes being sent to Runway 36. I believe it is not possible for FISK and the Tower to put you on 9/27 if you fly the 135 kt/2,300 ft approach. (Correct me if I’m wrong about this.)

Keep in mind that even when you fly the 135 kt approach, FISK may still decide to put you behind VERY SLOW traffic, if that’s what they decide is necessary. In 2017, at 2,300 ft and 135 kts, I was not even close to FISK when they said, “Canard, turn right and get behind the two biplanes.” … which they also directed East over Fisk Boulevard and toward the 36 runways. 

I managed to slow down from 135 kts to 75 kts in about 90 seconds, mostly because it did not involve descending at this point. I spoke to one of the biplane pilots the next day, and he confirmed, “Yup, 75 knots is the best we can do."

IMHO, you DO NEED to be able to fly your airplane slowly, if this is required by ATC.

(Warning: Video view rotates 90 degrees to the right at the far end of the runway, halfway through the video. This may be disconcerting.)


Curt Boyll
canards, colorado


On Jul 15, 2018, at 8:05 PM, Steven W. Harmon <sharmon32@...> wrote:


Well I have read the notam several times.   Familiarized myself with all the approaches the 18 lr page 11 seems to be the most complicated landing over runway 9-27.
I am hoping for runway 36 it would be the best no taxing on grass.  I have never come up on a airport at 135 Knts. I always slow down a couple of miles out to 90 to get my gear down.   I hand crank and above 100 knots it is a bear cranking it down.   I will try and get there about 8:00 in the morning Saturday weather permitting I am hoping it will be less crowded.  I know a huge mass flight of some spam cans is supposed to arrive at 11:00 Saturday morning so coming later is a bad idea. See you all in Oshkosh.
Steve build on

Loving life in Idaho  
where living poor on the farm beats being rich in the city



Re: Star ship?

Chad Baker
 

5 remain.  You can find them on the faa registry as Beech 2000 I think.

v/r,
Chad

..."Life is Short.  Live Your Dream and Share Your Passion."   -Holstee Manifesto

On Mon, Jul 16, 2018, 10:37 AM trcsmith TRCSmith@... [canard-aviators] <canard-aviators@...> wrote:
 

Anyone know how meany flying Star Ships there are?
 
Tom Smith  A&P/IA
Long-EZ N12TS
Cell-707-592-0869
KVCB
KJ6PZN


Re: Stranded Defiant

Ryszard Zadow
 

Dit-- OH!


On Monday, July 16, 2018 2:47 PM, "Jim.Rodrian@... [canard-aviators]" wrote:


 
Scott and Dan,
Please go slow on this and make sure everything is ready for flight and thoroughly tested before departing for Oshkosh.
Jim R
Defiant
N403R
 
From: canard-aviators@... <canard-aviators@...>
Sent: Monday, July 16, 2018 2:35 PM
To: Burrall L Sanders <craftsman@...>; canard-aviators@...
Cc: cozy_builders@...
Subject: Re: [c-a] Stranded Defiant
 
 
Burral,
 
Can we loan one?
 
Len
 
On Mon, Jul 16, 2018 at 2:41 PM Scott Humphrey longez..patch@... [canard-aviators] <canard-aviators@...> wrote:
 
-Stranded Defiant in Jacksonville TX. Need 6.5" or 7" prop extension for the front engine O-320 to get home to DFW and on to! Oshkosh. Need it in the next 24 - 48 hours. Can anybody help? Buy, borrow, trade, open to anything. 
 
 
 
Call me at 469-652-6022
or email me.
 
 
Scott "Patch" Humphrey
Cozy III
Savannah, TX 
 
--
Blessings, Len Morris 574 202 6389 (text messages get the fastest response)



Re: Stranded Defiant

Jim Rodrian
 

Scott and Dan,

Please go slow on this and make sure everything is ready for flight and thoroughly tested before departing for Oshkosh.

Jim R

Defiant

N403R

 

From: canard-aviators@...
Sent: Monday, July 16, 2018 2:35 PM
To: Burrall L Sanders ; canard-aviators@...
Cc: cozy_builders@...
Subject: Re: [c-a] Stranded Defiant

 

 

Burral,

 

Can we loan one?

 

Len

 

On Mon, Jul 16, 2018 at 2:41 PM Scott Humphrey longez..patch@... [canard-aviators] <canard-aviators@...> wrote:

 

-Stranded Defiant in Jacksonville TX. Need 6.5" or 7" prop extension for the front engine O-320 to get home to DFW and on to Oshkosh. Need it in the next 24 - 48 hours. Can anybody help? Buy, borrow, trade, open to anything. 

 

 

 

Call me at 469-652-6022

or email me.

 

 

Scott "Patch" Humphrey

Cozy III

Savannah, TX 

 

--

Blessings, Len Morris 574 202 6389 (text messages get the fastest response)


Re: Stranded Defiant

flyingstairs
 

Burral,

Can we loan one?

Len


On Mon, Jul 16, 2018 at 2:41 PM Scott Humphrey longez.patch@... [canard-aviators] <canard-aviators@...> wrote:
 

-Stranded Defiant in Jacksonville TX. Need 6.5" or 7" prop extension for the front engine O-320 to get home to DFW and on to Oshkosh. Need it in the next 24 - 48 hours. Can anybody help? Buy, borrow, trade, open to anything. 



Call me at 469-652-6022
or email me.


Scott "Patch" Humphrey
Cozy III
Savannah, TX 

--
Blessings, Len Morris 574 202 6389 (text messages get the fastest response)


Stranded Defiant

patch
 

-Stranded Defiant in Jacksonville TX. Need 6.5" or 7" prop extension for the front engine O-320 to get home to DFW and on to Oshkosh. Need it in the next 24 - 48 hours. Can anybody help? Buy, borrow, trade, open to anything. 



Call me at 469-652-6022
or email me.


Scott "Patch" Humphrey
Cozy III
Savannah, TX 


Re: Star ship?

John Lambert
 

The information I have indicates 53 production Starships were built. This does not include Burt’s POC Starship.

 

John Lambert

 

 

From: canard-aviators@... [mailto:canard-aviators@...]
Sent: Monday, July 16, 2018 12:37 PM
To: canard-aviators@...
Subject: [c-a] Star ship?

 

 

Anyone know how meany flying Star Ships there are?

 

Tom Smith  A&P/IA
Long-EZ N12TS
Cell-707-592-0869
KVCB
KJ6PZN


Re: Star ship?

David K
 

According to Robert Scherer's page, there are five active starships.  This site has a lot of good info.  


David Kissick
Cozy Mark IV
N579CZ
Chapter 24 - Covers
http://www.cozyserenity.net


On Monday, July 16, 2018, 11:37:03 AM MDT, trcsmith TRCSmith@... [canard-aviators] wrote:


 

Anyone know how meany flying Star Ships there are?
 
Tom Smith  A&P/IA
Long-EZ N12TS
Cell-707-592-0869
KVCB
KJ6PZN


Star ship?

trcsmith <TRCSmith@...>
 

Anyone know how meany flying Star Ships there are?
 
Tom Smith  A&P/IA
Long-EZ N12TS
Cell-707-592-0869
KVCB
KJ6PZN


Re: COZY: 90 or 130 kts

Izzy
 

Yea, be careful with those procedures at Oshkosh. I got down to 61 knots in my varieze in 2014 trying to keep behind an RV that was slowing for a landing. I hit his prop wash and tipped up 90 degrees and lost 200 feet.

At that point I abandoned the published procedures including breaking radio silence and told them I was going to land on the right side of the runway. They seemed to understand and didn’t push back. After landing I was expecting someone to come say something to me but no one ever did. 

Follow the rules as best you can but be sure to communicate a deviation if it becomes necessary for flight safety.  

No one will bite you and if they try they are probably a known asshole. 

Izzy


On Jul 15, 2018, at 23:45, Rick Hall rickh@... [canard-aviators] <canard-aviators@...> wrote:

 

Pilot In Command reply: "Unable".

Flying into Falcon Field (FFZ) on a semi hot day, I was cleared to land
22R (3800') straight in. Told tower "I need the long one", he
immediately cleared me for 22L (5100'). PIC has the final say, just
saying :)

Rick

On 7/15/2018 10:24 PM, Curt Boyll curtb442@... [canard-aviators]
wrote:
>
> Keep in mind that even when you fly the 135 kt approach, FISK may
> still decide to put you behind VERY SLOW traffic, if that’s what they
> decide is necessary. In 2017, at 2,300 ft and 135 kts, I was not even
> close to FISK when they said, “Canard, turn right and get behind the
> two biplanes.” … which they also directed East over Fisk Boulevard and
> toward the 36 runways.
>


Re: COZY: 90 or 130 kts

Bob Holliston
 

Hey Steven Harmon, if you have trouble getting your gear down at over 100 knots you must have the plans (bad idea) fixed gear door. With REAL, retractable gear doors I can get my (hand crank) gear down at 160 MPH with some, but not great, effort.

On Sun, Jul 15, 2018 at 9:51 PM, Jorgen Skovbjerg skovbjerg@... [canard-aviators] <canard-aviators@...> wrote:
 

Last year I did get sent to rwy 27 from 2300/135kts. That proved to be a challenge because there you are supposed to turn a very tight base for a short final. All factors at play, I could not make that happen and land on the numbers as instructed and had to request an extended downwind to the lakeshore. That works! For me. All good pilots need not to worry.
See you there,
jay

On Jul 15, 2018, at 21:24, Curt Boyll curtb442@... [canard-aviators] <canard-aviators@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

 

Flying the 135 kt route at 2,300 ft includes being sent to Runway 36. I believe it is not possible for FISK and the Tower to put you on 9/27 if you fly the 135 kt/2,300 ft approach. (Correct me if I’m wrong about this.)


Keep in mind that even when you fly the 135 kt approach, FISK may still decide to put you behind VERY SLOW traffic, if that’s what they decide is necessary. In 2017, at 2,300 ft and 135 kts, I was not even close to FISK when they said, “Canard, turn right and get behind the two biplanes.” … which they also directed East over Fisk Boulevard and toward the 36 runways. 

I managed to slow down from 135 kts to 75 kts in about 90 seconds, mostly because it did not involve descending at this point. I spoke to one of the biplane pilots the next day, and he confirmed, “Yup, 75 knots is the best we can do."

IMHO, you DO NEED to be able to fly your airplane slowly, if this is required by ATC.

(Warning: Video view rotates 90 degrees to the right at the far end of the runway, halfway through the video. This may be disconcerting.)


Curt Boyll
canards, colorado


On Jul 15, 2018, at 8:05 PM, Steven W. Harmon <sharmon32@...> wrote:


Well I have read the notam several times.   Familiarized myself with all the approaches the 18 lr page 11 seems to be the most complicated landing over runway 9-27.
I am hoping for runway 36 it would be the best no taxing on grass.  I have never come up on a airport at 135 Knts. I always slow down a couple of miles out to 90 to get my gear down.   I hand crank and above 100 knots it is a bear cranking it down.   I will try and get there about 8:00 in the morning Saturday weather permitting I am hoping it will be less crowded.  I know a huge mass flight of some spam cans is supposed to arrive at 11:00 Saturday morning so coming later is a bad idea. See you all in Oshkosh.
Steve build on

Loving life in Idaho  
where living poor on the farm beats being rich in the city





--


Re: COZY: 90 or 130 kts

DB
 

I just tell them unable!


On Jul 16, 2018, at 8:30 AM, Nick U <unick3@...> wrote:

Tim, I am with you on NOT taxing on the grass.   

A few years ago the ground people directed me on the grass and I ignorantly complied.  The ground was really rough and I ended up taxing into a nice hole which broke one of my wheel pants.   I have never allowed the ground crews to direct me into a grass taxiway again.   If your adamant and refuse to comply as PIC they will always shift you to a hard surface.  I now carry an addition sign in the plane, “NO GRASS TAXI” every time I fly into OSH just in case...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nick Ugolini

LongEZ N29TM  3060+ hrs
Charleston, SC www.nickugolini.com  
 
Building a Cozy 3, former owner of a Varieze and Cozy 4   

Selling:  Canard Fuel Probes



On Jul 16, 2018, at 11:02 AM, Tim Sullivan <timpvf@...> wrote:
Ground guys are telling me to pull off into the grass on the left, I’m pointing to the taxiway on the right. They keep shaking their heads no. I’m still pointing, their are still shaking. Argh. Alright I go left. Six feet past the edge of pavement I’m stuck in the muck. Oh, did I mention it rained pretty good the night before? So 20 minutes later and a dozen CAP and they lift and push me back in the runway so I could go over to the taxiway I had pointed to in the first place. This should have been no surprise to the ground crew because about 200 yards prior was a 310 stuck deep into the muck. 



Lessons learned, have both freqs loaded up in the radio. As It was said before PIC don’t pull into the grass. 

Tim Sullivan, Placerville CA


Re: COZY: 90 or 130 kts

Nick U
 

Tim, I am with you on NOT taxing on the grass.   

A few years ago the ground people directed me on the grass and I ignorantly complied.  The ground was really rough and I ended up taxing into a nice hole which broke one of my wheel pants.   I have never allowed the ground crews to direct me into a grass taxiway again.   If your adamant and refuse to comply as PIC they will always shift you to a hard surface.  I now carry an addition sign in the plane, “NO GRASS TAXI” every time I fly into OSH just in case...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nick Ugolini

LongEZ N29TM  3060+ hrs
Charleston, SC www.nickugolini.com  
 
Building a Cozy 3, former owner of a Varieze and Cozy 4   



On Jul 16, 2018, at 11:02 AM, Tim Sullivan <timpvf@...> wrote:
Ground guys are telling me to pull off into the grass on the left, I’m pointing to the taxiway on the right. They keep shaking their heads no. I’m still pointing, their are still shaking. Argh. Alright I go left. Six feet past the edge of pavement I’m stuck in the muck. Oh, did I mention it rained pretty good the night before? So 20 minutes later and a dozen CAP and they lift and push me back in the runway so I could go over to the taxiway I had pointed to in the first place. This should have been no surprise to the ground crew because about 200 yards prior was a 310 stuck deep into the muck. 



Lessons learned, have both freqs loaded up in the radio. As It was said before PIC don’t pull into the grass. 

Tim Sullivan, Placerville CA


Brakes

jack jackson
 

Is any one here using Beringer brakes and wheels?
Product report please.

Jax

8761 - 8780 of 110533