Date   

(No subject)

 

Bob-
Absolutely GORGEOUS, and at least 2 kts faster :-)
-Christian
PS more pics please.


On Thu, Aug 1, 2019 at 8:50 AM Bob Holliston bob.holliston@... [canard-aviators] <canard-aviators@...> wrote:
 

'Case anyone cares, I finally found time to paint my plane after 6 years of flying in white primer. It's chrome yellow with a lime green top and stripes. The lime green is a vinyl wrap so I can change colors if I want or pull it off and have an all yellow airplane. The numbers and letters were laser cut so the yellow shows through. Working with the wrap was all new to me so I got to (sort of) learn a new skill, thank you YouTube. The wrap is more enjoyable to apply than the paint. BTW, the 2" numbers are legal on designs this old and you can't read them from 40' away. The "X" after the "N" is also legal and you don't have to have the experimental sticker with it on there.. 


(No subject)

Bob Holliston
 

I painted my first LE chrome yellow, a PPG name at that time. This is actually ryder yellow, a NAPA probase name. Thing is, chrome yellow sounds way cooler than ryder yellow LOL. 


On Thu, Aug 1, 2019 at 9:47 AM Greg Norman gnorm76@... [canard-aviators] <canard-aviators@...> wrote:
 

What's the original name of the yellow? Never heard of chrome yellow. Yellow metallic maybe?

Greg

On Thu, Aug 1, 2019 at 10:51 AM Bob Holliston bob.holliston@... [canard-aviators] <canard-aviators@...> wrote:
 

'Case anyone cares, I finally found time to paint my plane after 6 years of flying in white primer. It's chrome yellow with a lime green top and stripes. The lime green is a vinyl wrap so I can change colors if I want or pull it off and have an all yellow airplane. The numbers and letters were laser cut so the yellow shows through. Working with the wrap was all new to me so I got to (sort of) learn a new skill, thank you YouTube. The wrap is more enjoyable to apply than the paint. BTW, the 2" numbers are legal on designs this old and you can't read them from 40' away. The "X" after the "N" is also legal and you don't have to have the experimental sticker with it on there... 










--



--



--


(No subject)

Greg Norman
 

What's the original name of the yellow? Never heard of chrome yellow. Yellow metallic maybe?

Greg


On Thu, Aug 1, 2019 at 10:51 AM Bob Holliston bob.holliston@... [canard-aviators] <canard-aviators@...> wrote:
 

'Case anyone cares, I finally found time to paint my plane after 6 years of flying in white primer. It's chrome yellow with a lime green top and stripes. The lime green is a vinyl wrap so I can change colors if I want or pull it off and have an all yellow airplane. The numbers and letters were laser cut so the yellow shows through. Working with the wrap was all new to me so I got to (sort of) learn a new skill, thank you YouTube. The wrap is more enjoyable to apply than the paint. BTW, the 2" numbers are legal on designs this old and you can't read them from 40' away. The "X" after the "N" is also legal and you don't have to have the experimental sticker with it on there.. 










--



--


(No subject)

Greg Norman
 

Wowza!


Greg Norman


On Thu, Aug 1, 2019 at 10:51 AM Bob Holliston bob.holliston@... [canard-aviators] <canard-aviators@...> wrote:
 

'Case anyone cares, I finally found time to paint my plane after 6 years of flying in white primer. It's chrome yellow with a lime green top and stripes. The lime green is a vinyl wrap so I can change colors if I want or pull it off and have an all yellow airplane. The numbers and letters were laser cut so the yellow shows through. Working with the wrap was all new to me so I got to (sort of) learn a new skill, thank you YouTube. The wrap is more enjoyable to apply than the paint. BTW, the 2" numbers are legal on designs this old and you can't read them from 40' away. The "X" after the "N" is also legal and you don't have to have the experimental sticker with it on there.. 










--



--


Re: Bottom Fuselage Paint

Greg Norman
 

I primered mine upside down. Why not prep sand it too. So much easier on the arms. You can spray color on its belly right side up pretty easy with a good modern gravity spray gun.

Greg Norman


On Thu, Aug 1, 2019 at 10:24 AM Andrew Anunson macleodm3@... [canard-aviators] <canard-aviators@...> wrote:
 

Should I go ahead and prime/paint the bottom of the fuselage while its upside down, or is it easy enough to paint the bottom of the fuselage and strakes while its all right side up?

Thanks!
Andrew Anunson
Cozy MKIV #1273
Chapter 25
Pound, VA


Re: Dipstick tube.

Glenn Charles
 

Phil !

Thanks !  Quite an offer !

I would still have to glue it together though,  right ?

Glenn



On Jul 31, 2019, at 9:21 PM, Phillip Camarda uh1cw2@... [canard-aviators] <canard-aviators@...> wrote:

 

Send me the dipstick housing and I'll machine it to size. Include the dipstick so I can adjust it to the new housing length.

Cover shipping both ways. No charge for the modification. Send me an Email if interested.

Phil Camarda 

On Wednesday, July 31, 2019, 08:51:59 PM EDT, Regrot regrot@... [canard-aviators] <canard-aviators@...> wrote:


 

Hi Glenn,

What I recall I did was cut out the necessary length, less an inch, then bore a little out of one end and machine down the diameter on the other end so you have a slip fit.  You don't want it too tight a fit because I bonded it together and you want a little bit of a bond line. The two flanges coming together will keep in alignment and you can feel around the perimeter for concentricity while curing.  Obviously this will require you to have a lathe to be able to do the above..

Don't forget you will have to cutoff your dipstick as well. If you don't, and force it you may end up with a bend at the end!! Stuck out tongue closed eyes

Mine is plastic so I don't know what Bill is talking about below unless he has a plastic welder and the material is compatible to do that. I do have a plastic welder but never tried it..

Torger T
Long-EZ 606TT
FUL


-----Original Message-----
From: Keith Spreuer kspreuer@... [canard-aviators] <canard-aviators@...>
To: Canard Aviators <canard-aviators@...>
Sent: Wed, Jul 31, 2019 3:03 pm
Subject: Re: [c-a] Dipstick tube.



Mine's fine but I think the easiest solid fix is to cut x.x inches out of the center and weld the ends back together, clean well and paint.

Keith

On Wed, Jul 31, 2019 at 1:53 PM Bill Allen billallensworld@gmail..com [canard-aviators] <canard-aviators@...> wrote:
 
I shortened a too-long Lyco dipstick/tube and it worked fine - I seem to recall that it was a recommended fix in one of the CPs?

Bill Allen

On Wed, 31 Jul 2019 at 18:24, Glen bob gcm2291@... [canard-aviators] <canard-aviators@...> wrote:
 
Dearest Canardians,

(Not to be confused with Canadians),

Looking for a shorter dipstick tube. Mine is 10 1/2 inches long (O-320).

Sticks out of the cowl. Need closer to 6 inch.

Somebody suggested cutting 4 inches out and re-gluing. I'm a little leary of that.

Will it work ?

Any other options?

Glenn


--



Re: Dipstick tube.

Glenn Charles
 

I thought about that.

I got one from the FBO but the threads were different. 

Not sure about buying one unseen in case that happens again.

GM



On Jul 31, 2019, at 10:26 PM, Greg Norman gnorm76@... [canard-aviators] <canard-aviators@...> wrote:

 

You can also call your local aircraft salvage place like Wentworth Aircraft. I had to do this and it turned out pretty cheap.

Greg Norman

On Wed, Jul 31, 2019 at 1:21 PM Nick U unick3@... [canard-aviators] <canard-aviators@...> wrote:
 

Cutting a gluing will work (I did it), but you might need a lathe to ensure a proper fit.   Another option is cutting and using a short transition coupling of tubing with hose clamps .




---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nick Ugolini

LongEZ N29TM
Charleston, SC www.nickugolini.com  
Selling:  Canard Fuel Probes











On Jul 31, 2019, at 12:07 PM, Glen bob gcm2291@... [canard-aviators] <canard-aviators@...> wrote:

Dearest Canardians,

(Not to be confused with Canadians),

Looking for a shorter dipstick tube. Mine is 10 1/2 inches long (O-320).

Sticks out of the cowl. Need closer to 6 inch.  

Somebody suggested cutting 4 inches out and re-gluing. I'm a little leary of that.

Will it work ? 

Any other options?

Glenn




(No subject)

lezdreamer
 

That looks great Bob.

Robert
KAWO, Long EZ

On Aug 1, 2019, at 7:38 AM, Bob Holliston bob.holliston@... [canard-aviators] <canard-aviators@...> wrote:

 

'Case anyone cares, I finally found time to paint my plane after 6 years of flying in white primer. It's chrome yellow with a lime green top and stripes. The lime green is a vinyl wrap so I can change colors if I want or pull it off and have an all yellow airplane. The numbers and letters were laser cut so the yellow shows through. Working with the wrap was all new to me so I got to (sort of) learn a new skill, thank you YouTube. The wrap is more enjoyable to apply than the paint. BTW, the 2" numbers are legal on designs this old and you can't read them from 40' away. The "X" after the "N" is also legal and you don't have to have the experimental sticker with it on there.. 










--



--


Re: Dipstick tube.

KEN4ZZ
 

I've found that searching flebay *successfully* is somewhat of an acquired skill. More than half the battle is guessing what terms and filters to include - or to leave out. Folks use all sorts of names for things and list them in odd parts of the site. If I'm REALLY beating the bushes for something, I'll try at least half a dozen different advanced searches. Last ditch fall back position is to use a very general term and slog thru (sometimes many) dozens of useless listings for each item you actually wanted to look at.?? Be sure to check the 'include descriptions' box.

Examples: Just because YOU know the correct Lycoming part number, don't assume the seller does. Including the terms 'Lycoming" and 'oil' are pretty solid, but beyond that it's a bit of a free for all.?? Have they called it a filler tube? A filler pipe? A dipstick pipe? A short oil tube? Ad infinitum. In the end it pretty much depends on how much time and patience you have to spend before the decision is made that whatever it is you want just isn't listed.

Good luck searching-

Ken

On 7/31/2019 11:59 PM, Glen bob gcm2291@... [canard-aviators] wrote:
??
Thanks guys ??! !

I had already searched eBay with no luck.


Re: Bottom Fuselage Paint

Glenn Charles
 

I painted mine upside down .

I'll have to blend top paint in when I get that far.

GM




On Aug 1, 2019, at 9:10 AM, Andrew Anunson macleodm3@... [canard-aviators] <canard-aviators@...> wrote:

 

Should I go ahead and prime/paint the bottom of the fuselage while its upside down, or is it easy enough to paint the bottom of the fuselage and strakes while its all right side up?

Thanks!
Andrew Anunson
Cozy MKIV #1273
Chapter 25
Pound, VA


(No subject)

Bob Holliston
 

'Case anyone cares, I finally found time to paint my plane after 6 years of flying in white primer. It's chrome yellow with a lime green top and stripes. The lime green is a vinyl wrap so I can change colors if I want or pull it off and have an all yellow airplane. The numbers and letters were laser cut so the yellow shows through. Working with the wrap was all new to me so I got to (sort of) learn a new skill, thank you YouTube. The wrap is more enjoyable to apply than the paint. BTW, the 2" numbers are legal on designs this old and you can't read them from 40' away. The "X" after the "N" is also legal and you don't have to have the experimental sticker with it on there. 










--



--


Bottom Fuselage Paint

Andrew Anunson
 

Should I go ahead and prime/paint the bottom of the fuselage while its upside down, or is it easy enough to paint the bottom of the fuselage and strakes while its all right side up?

Thanks!
Andrew Anunson
Cozy MKIV #1273
Chapter 25
Pound, VA


Re: OSH in general.

Glenn Charles
 

My only regret is that it's only once a year.  But then, I'm sure it wouldn't be the same if it was twice.

GM

LOVE. IT. !


On Jul 30, 2019, at 10:52 AM, Bill Allen billallensworld@... [canard-aviators] <canard-aviators@...> wrote:

 

Well put sir!

On Tue, 30 Jul 2019 at 05:53, Raymond Cole raycole@... [canard-aviators] <canard-aviators@...> wrote:
 

This is my 42 consecutive year to attend the OSH event (I flew my Varieze in back when they were still unusual (which way does it go? How do you get it to rotate with the nose on the ground?)) I would be very sad if I had to miss it.

-OSH HAS SOMETHING FOR EVERYBODY (even if you are shopping for a massage chair). In this day and age where the general public can't get past the fence at their local airport, it is a real opportunity to share the creativity, and capability of general aviation aircraft and their capability. (Remember the major airline Chairman that wanted to ban GA aircraft from large airports).

-SO MANY GREAT FORUMS ARE PRESENTED BY KNOWLEDGEABLE PEOPLE. (One composites forum years ago was having a healthy discussion about radar signature on composite aircraft with a panel receiving questions from the audience. Carbon fiber was not used much at the time. One guy asked if a carbon fiber cowl would block radar detection of the engine/metal in the engine compartment. The panelist smiled and said we can't continue to discuss that. Everyone roared. (He was working on the unannounced B-2 at the time)

-ITS BIG ENOUGH TO BRING IN THE FAA ADMINISTRATOR AND DIRECTORS. I've seen several issues solved on the spot when rational discussion were held during a "ask the administrator" session.  Also it sets the stage for EAA staff to have meetings with the FAA directors for changes to certification road blocks and operational limitations...(note- latest progress on using experimental avionics on standard category aircraft)

-YOU NEVER KNOW WHO YOU ARE GOING TO MEET.  (I met General Doolittle one year) (another year I was asking questions about the P-51 one  year and an elderly man standing next to me answered my question and I asked how he knew so much about the airplane. He responded with "I was on the design team". Every one who attends is generally on the same level and you don't know who you may stand next to.

-INTRODUCTION TO CONSTRUCTION SKILLS Try your hand at Welding, Fabric covering, metal work, composites, ect.

-PEOPLE I look forward to meeting friends I only see at OSH. I always seemed to make some new ones and we all seem to have a common interest.

If you want a smaller event have your own fly-in (such as Rough River) No big organizing just get together and have fun. I'm still amazed how OSH can take place with all the resources, planning and people required. It's still amazing and keeps getting bigger..

--


Re: Dipstick tube.

Glenn Charles
 

Thanks guys  ! !

I had already searched eBay with no luck.

My local FBO had a nice 6 inch, but threads were different, anfpd top of tube had no threads.

Recently had a sewer replace in one of my rentals. ( Ouch !) 11K

They joined two 20 foot lengths with a machine that shaved each face perfectly, then heated both sides for a few minutes, then pressed them together so hard that it raised a bead all the way around inside and out. Seems like similar material. (Black 10 inch pipe).   Wonder if it would work for this tube.

They said it would never break.  I believe it because they joined two more sections for an 80 foot pipe, and then we wrestled the whole thing through a basement window and pulled it all the way to the sewer main in the middle of the street !

GM



On Jul 31, 2019, at 5:13 PM, Ken Swain ken4zz@... [canard-aviators] <canard-aviators@...> wrote:

 

Quick search on flebay.?? Sift thru and find several lengths:

https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=lycoming+oil

On 7/31/2019 3:23 PM, Bill Allen billallensworld@... [canard-aviators] wrote:
??
I shortened a too-long Lyco dipstick/tube and it worked fine - I seem to recall that it was a recommended fix in one of the CPs?

Bill Allen

On Wed, 31 Jul 2019 at 18:24, Glen bob gcm2291@... [canard-aviators] <canard-aviators@...> wrote:
??

Dearest Canardians,

(Not to be confused with Canadians),

Looking for a shorter dipstick tube. Mine is 10 1/2 inches long (O-320).

Sticks out of the cowl. Need closer to 6 inch.

Somebody suggested cutting 4 inches out and re-gluing. I'm a little leary of that.

Will it work ?

Any other options?

Glenn


--


Re: Dipstick tube.

Greg Norman
 

You can also call your local aircraft salvage place like Wentworth Aircraft. I had to do this and it turned out pretty cheap.

Greg Norman


On Wed, Jul 31, 2019 at 1:21 PM Nick U unick3@... [canard-aviators] <canard-aviators@...> wrote:
 

Cutting a gluing will work (I did it), but you might need a lathe to ensure a proper fit.   Another option is cutting and using a short transition coupling of tubing with hose clamps .




---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Nick Ugolini

LongEZ N29TM
Charleston, SC www.nickugolini.com  
Selling:  Canard Fuel Probes











On Jul 31, 2019, at 12:07 PM, Glen bob gcm2291@... [canard-aviators] <canard-aviators@...> wrote:

Dearest Canardians,

(Not to be confused with Canadians),

Looking for a shorter dipstick tube. Mine is 10 1/2 inches long (O-320).

Sticks out of the cowl. Need closer to 6 inch.  

Somebody suggested cutting 4 inches out and re-gluing. I'm a little leary of that.

Will it work ? 

Any other options?

Glenn




Re: Dipstick tube.

Phillip Camarda
 

Send me the dipstick housing and I'll machine it to size. Include the dipstick so I can adjust it to the new housing length.

Cover shipping both ways. No charge for the modification. Send me an Email if interested.

PhilCamarda@...
Phil Camarda 

On Wednesday, July 31, 2019, 08:51:59 PM EDT, Regrot regrot@... [canard-aviators] wrote:


 

Hi Glenn,

What I recall I did was cut out the necessary length, less an inch, then bore a little out of one end and machine down the diameter on the other end so you have a slip fit.  You don't want it too tight a fit because I bonded it together and you want a little bit of a bond line. The two flanges coming together will keep in alignment and you can feel around the perimeter for concentricity while curing.  Obviously this will require you to have a lathe to be able to do the above..

Don't forget you will have to cutoff your dipstick as well. If you don't, and force it you may end up with a bend at the end!! Stuck out tongue closed eyes

Mine is plastic so I don't know what Bill is talking about below unless he has a plastic welder and the material is compatible to do that. I do have a plastic welder but never tried it..

Torger T
Long-EZ 606TT
FUL


-----Original Message-----
From: Keith Spreuer kspreuer@... [canard-aviators]
To: Canard Aviators
Sent: Wed, Jul 31, 2019 3:03 pm
Subject: Re: [c-a] Dipstick tube.



Mine's fine but I think the easiest solid fix is to cut x.x inches out of the center and weld the ends back together, clean well and paint.

Keith

On Wed, Jul 31, 2019 at 1:53 PM Bill Allen billallensworld@gmail..com [canard-aviators] <canard-aviators@...> wrote:
 
I shortened a too-long Lyco dipstick/tube and it worked fine - I seem to recall that it was a recommended fix in one of the CPs?

Bill Allen

On Wed, 31 Jul 2019 at 18:24, Glen bob gcm2291@... [canard-aviators] <canard-aviators@...> wrote:
 
Dearest Canardians,

(Not to be confused with Canadians),

Looking for a shorter dipstick tube. Mine is 10 1/2 inches long (O-320).

Sticks out of the cowl. Need closer to 6 inch.

Somebody suggested cutting 4 inches out and re-gluing. I'm a little leary of that.

Will it work ?

Any other options?

Glenn


--



Re: Canard Calendar - August

Bob Holliston
 

Calendar, Erlend, WOW!


On Wed, Jul 31, 2019 at 5:48 PM erlend@... [canard-aviators] <canard-aviators@...> wrote:
 

The August Canard Desktop Calendar is ready for download.

This image is from the French Acro Team Patrouille Reva.


As always: Thanks a lot for the many beautiful pictures I have received so far. I’m always looking for new pictures, if you have pictures to share, please send them over to me. I need as large resolution as possible. My bandwidth is no problem, so don’t be afraid to send over large images!

 

Safe flying (and building)!

 

Here is the link: http://ljosnes.no/cozy/canard-calendar

 

PS: If the new calendar doesn’t show up, it’s probably because the website is cached in your web browser. Try to hit F5 to reload the page if this happens.

--

Erlend Moen

Cozy #1556 – chapter 20



--


Re: OSH in general.

Elwood Johnson
 

Total agree Mr Lueck.

Long-EZ N36EJ my own little F16.
Elwood 'EJ' Johnson

On Jul 30, 2019, at 10:12 AM, Daryl Lueck cozypilot@... [canard-aviators] <canard-aviators@...> wrote:

 

Well said.  I enjoy it every year....  27 years in a row for me!  I enjoy the commercial and military stuff.  I don’t understand the ladders and flag pole sales, but somebody buys them.  

 
I love my Cozy.  Going to OSH while building is different than now.  I enjoy seeing old friends, meeting new, and the air shows.

The small regional shows are great too, but we love OSH.  There’s only one!

Daryl
Cozy IV N797DL 


On Jul 29, 2019, at 7:49 PM, Raymond Cole raycole@... [canard-aviators] <canard-aviators@...> wrote:

 

This is my 42 consecutive year to attend the OSH event (I flew my Varieze in back when they were still unusual (which way does it go? How do you get it to rotate with the nose on the ground?)) I would be very sad if I had to miss it.

-OSH HAS SOMETHING FOR EVERYBODY (even if you are shopping for a massage chair). In this day and age where the general public can't get past the fence at their local airport, it is a real opportunity to share the creativity, and capability of general aviation aircraft and their capability. (Remember the major airline Chairman that wanted to ban GA aircraft from large airports).

-SO MANY GREAT FORUMS ARE PRESENTED BY KNOWLEDGEABLE PEOPLE. (One composites forum years ago was having a healthy discussion about radar signature on composite aircraft with a panel receiving questions from the audience. Carbon fiber was not used much at the time. One guy asked if a carbon fiber cowl would block radar detection of the engine/metal in the engine compartment. The panelist smiled and said we can't continue to discuss that. Everyone roared. (He was working on the unannounced B-2 at the time)

-ITS BIG ENOUGH TO BRING IN THE FAA ADMINISTRATOR AND DIRECTORS. I've seen several issues solved on the spot when rational discussion were held during a "ask the administrator" session.  Also it sets the stage for EAA staff to have meetings with the FAA directors for changes to certification road blocks and operational limitations..(note- latest progress on using experimental avionics on standard category aircraft)

-YOU NEVER KNOW WHO YOU ARE GOING TO MEET.  (I met General Doolittle one year) (another year I was asking questions about the P-51 one  year and an elderly man standing next to me answered my question and I asked how he knew so much about the airplane. He responded with "I was on the design team". Every one who attends is generally on the same level and you don't know who you may stand next to.

-INTRODUCTION TO CONSTRUCTION SKILLS Try your hand at Welding, Fabric covering, metal work, composites, ect.

-PEOPLE I look forward to meeting friends I only see at OSH. I always seemed to make some new ones and we all seem to have a common interest.

If you want a smaller event have your own fly-in (such as Rough River) No big organizing just get together and have fun. I'm still amazed how OSH can take place with all the resources, planning and people required. It's still amazing and keeps getting bigger.


Re: OSH in general.

Elwood Johnson
 

Well said Andrew

Long-EZ N36EJ my own little F16.
Elwood 'EJ' Johnson

On Jul 29, 2019, at 9:47 PM, Andrew Anunson macleodm3@... [canard-aviators] <canard-aviators@...> wrote:

 

I have been twice... 2000 and 2019... Loved It!!

2000... this was the year I walked in and saw a bunch of the airplanes you guys built.  I though it was some odd airplane factory until I noticed that some of the work was a little bit "Home Made".  I realized, then and there, that people built their own airplanes and that I could do it too.  Thank God I visited Oshkosh in 2000!

2019... its awesome... got to see Burt arrive in a Starship, felt an F-22 just about knock me over with afterburners, visited the innovation area to see new ideas, saw the Cozy 3 that Nat donated.... and more canards (some looked perfect, others home made.... ALL of them flew in and were awesome creations).  All Kinds of aircraft... WoW!!!!
Is it BIG?  Yes, it is.  

Hardly ANYBODY is starting new plans built projects.  Our local EAA chapter just disbanded because nobody is flying here anymore.  Without Airbus, Air Force, Boeing, Garmin, Vans Aircraft and other big money... well there just isn't a ton of homebuilt activity going on right now to support an event that expose hundreds of thousands to homebuilt aircraft.... I say we should take what we can get.  EAA still parks the canards on EZ Street.... Lots of Exposure there (where were all the other canards?)

Its OUR JOB to get new builders interested in aviation and home built aircraft... something new, easier to build... Whats Next?


Andrew Anunson
Cozy MKIV #1273
Chapter 25
Pound, VA


Re: Camping update at OSH

Elwood Johnson
 

Well said Mr Don Jones

Long-EZ N36EJ my own little F16.
Elwood 'EJ' Johnson

On Jul 29, 2019, at 9:14 PM, DON JONES djonesdnd@... [canard-aviators] <canard-aviators@...> wrote:

 

I have been attending Oshkosh/Airventure since 1976, one thing is for sure, a lot of change has taken place over the years. It was pretty big back in 76, but it has grown into a monstrous airshow. I was there this past week for Monday and Tuesday only and stood in amazement at the sheer size of the campgrounds, the seemingly endless displays of various aviation related items, the huge numbers of attendees, and in awe of EAA's ability to pull off the feat. The fly-in as a whole is nothing short of a remarkable accomplishment. I am proud to have been a member for the past 43 years.

 I, for one. love the diversity, from the seaplane base to the heavy iron that flies into the show. There is something for everyone and in general it is all top quality. Where on earth can you go and see and do the things we can at Airventure, I love it.

As for us Canadians, with a few exceptions like the younger Allen Floyd with his Grand Champion LongEze, we are a dwindling breed of aging builders and pilots. Our time horizon as productive contributors to the movement is short, all too soon we will have joined the OX-5 group from the early part of last century. Lets continue to support EAA and the Canard Movement to the best of our ability in hopes that younger canard builders and pilots will continue where we leave off. Burt gave us the best, most efficient aircraft ever conceived, let's do our best to pull together and support EAA which made our movement possible in the first place.

Don Jones
Berkut FG

On Monday, July 29, 2019, 7:12:25 PM CDT, Tom Smith TRCSmith@... [canard-aviators] <canard-aviators@...> wrote:


 

Well. OSH could be the USA's version of the Paris airshow for the big aluminum.


Tom Smith  A&P/IA
Long-EZ N12TS
Cell-707-592-0869
KVCB
KJ6PZN


-----Original Message-----
From: Rick Hall rickh@... [canard-aviators] <canard-aviators@...>
To: canard-aviators <canard-aviators@...>
Sent: Mon, Jul 29, 2019 2:17 pm
Subject: Re: [c-a] Re: Camping update at OSH

It's Rockford ;)

Boeing/Fed-x/Ford/other big boyz pay to display their offerings in front
of 500,000 people. As to war-birds, I kinda agree. But seeing a F4U up
close is kinda neat, and they do draw a crowd.

Ignoring the 'commercial' aspect of Airventure, especially the eye glass
cleaners and magic fingers massage chair vendors, there's a lot to offer
for the builders/experimenters.

Bill K volunteers for the composite workshop, it's filled to capacity
more than half of the sessions. I volunteer at the Cozy-3 build in
Aeroplane Workshop, along with the rest of "Team Epoxy", Chrissi, Randi,
Bob, George, and often a few from the audience. We laid up both spar
caps and both wing skins on one wing this year. Ever try to skin a wing
using medium hardener in 85* heat while answering the inevitable "can I
ask a small question"?  Hand layups are 'old tech', but we do draw a
modest crowd.

If "Team Epoxy" didn't volunteer, RV types would be flying around with
butt ugly modified cowlings. Yes, that's one of the "can I ask a small
question" we *often* answer ;)

Do you know Portuguese? I don't either, but have had multiple visitors
to our workshop from Brazil. The International Tent has volunteer
translators that will go to a workshop/venue. I found that out on
departure, from a Russian couple. What timing :-/

Gordon:
Know where you're coming from, suspect many think the same... But if we
don't volunteer to share our collective knowledge with the few
experimenters that attend, we're shooting ourselves in the proverbial
foot. IMHO, of course :)

Rick


On 7/29/2019 1:40 PM, Izzy Briggs inbriggs@... [canard-aviators]
wrote:
>
> Good points. Personally, I’d like to see anything military banned from
> the event. It’s be nice to skip the United Airlines and UPS airplanes
> dominating Boeing as well. Those guys can all go to Paris.
>
>
> Maybe we should all just start landing in Rockville again.
>
> Izzy
>
>
> On Jul 29, 2019, at 13:46, Gordon Bowen
> gordon.bowen.training@...
> gordon.bowen.training@...> [canard-aviators]
> <canard-aviators@...
> canard-aviators@...>> wrote:

>
>> Osh$, has been going commercial for a long time. The reason I quit
>> doing the composites workshop and coming to Osh to volunteer. The
>> entire”AirVenture” theme will be a failure as soon as the homebuilder
>> core quit volunteering at Osh. It’s now 100% on the local chapters to
>> keep the original EAA movement alive. Ask yourself, if the EAA did
>> not have real experimental aircraft enthusiast around the country,
>> would our so called builders convention in Osh survive? Would the
>> State of WI pony up the money to support the state’s largest event? I
>> know someone in Osh corporate management reads these posting on our
>> user group, I wonder if they will wake up to the fact that they have
>> allowed our annual experimental convention has been highjacked by
>> money, like our political system...
>>
>>

>>
>




------------------------------------
Posted by: Rick Hall <rickh@...>
------------------------------------


------------------------------------

Yahoo Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/canard-aviators/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/canard-aviators/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    canard-aviators-digest@...
    canard-aviators-fullfeatured@...

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    canard-aviators-unsubscribe@...

<*> Your use of Yahoo Groups is subject to:
    https://info.yahoo.com/legal/us/yahoo/utos/terms/


4661 - 4680 of 109970