Topics

1/16” SS cable hardware

Greg Gullikson

Hello, sorry if this has previously covered and I missed it in my searches, but I am getting ready to rig my Long-EZ rudders and I have a question about the proper 1/16” cable to use. I see references to stainless steel cable in aftermarket rudder pedal plans and some of the Cozy Mk VI literature, but I don’t find it in the Long-EZ plans or the HO rudder and hidden belhorn plans. They just reference 1/16” cable. Is the stainless cable preferred or should I be using galvanized cable. If stainless is preferred which Nicopress sleeves should be used, plain copper or copper/zinc? Also, the rudder pedal plans call out for AN111-3 cable bushings and they are cad plated. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Greg Gullikson

David K

Tin coated sleeves are designed for stainless steel wire.  The zinc coated are used for galvanized.

David Kissick
Cozy Mark IV
N5789Z
Chapter 3 (again) - Shop Build
http://www.cozyserenity.net

On Tuesday, January 19, 2021, 12:43:05 PM PST, Greg Gullikson via groups.io <gegullikson@...> wrote:

Hello, sorry if this has previously covered and I missed it in my searches, but I am getting ready to rig my Long-EZ rudders and I have a question about the proper 1/16” cable to use.  I see references to stainless steel cable in aftermarket rudder pedal plans and some of the Cozy Mk VI literature, but I don’t find it in the Long-EZ plans or the HO rudder and hidden belhorn plans. They just reference 1/16” cable. Is the stainless cable preferred or should I be using galvanized cable.  If stainless is preferred which Nicopress sleeves should be used, plain copper or copper/zinc?  Also, the rudder pedal plans call out for AN111-3 cable bushings and they are cad plated. Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Greg Gullikson

David A Froble

On 1/19/2021 3:42 PM, Greg Gullikson via groups.io wrote:
Hello, sorry if this has previously covered and I missed it in my searches, but I am getting ready to rig my Long-EZ rudders and I have a question about the proper 1/16” cable to use. I see references to stainless steel cable in aftermarket rudder pedal plans and some of the Cozy Mk VI literature, but I don’t find it in the Long-EZ plans or the HO rudder and hidden belhorn plans. They just reference 1/16” cable. Is the stainless cable preferred or should I be using galvanized cable. If stainless is preferred which Nicopress sleeves should be used, plain copper or copper/zinc? Also, the rudder pedal plans call out for AN111-3 cable bushings and they are cad plated. Any guidance would be appreciated.
Definitely use SS 7x7 wrap cable. The 1x19 is a stiffer cable.

I have in stock cable, nicos (zinc coated copper), SS thimbles, stops, barrels, shrink wrap, and such.

Dave Froble Enterprises, Inc. E-Mail: davef@tsoft-inc.com
DFE Ultralights, Inc.
170 Grimplin Road
Vanderbilt, PA 15486

David A Froble

On 1/19/2021 4:00 PM, David K via groups.io wrote:
Tin coated sleeves are designed for stainless steel wire. The zinc
coated are used for galvanized.
That's interesting. For over 40 years I've been using zinc plated copper nicos.

Do you have any information to support your claim?

Dave Froble Enterprises, Inc. E-Mail: davef@tsoft-inc.com
DFE Ultralights, Inc.
170 Grimplin Road
Vanderbilt, PA 15486

Good Afternoon Greg,
My two cents is use the Galvy cable not the stainless steel.  My suggestion stems from some incidents in the Super Cub world where the stainless aileron cables were breaking or fraying after a relatively short time  (not a good thing). The Stainless work hardening is the perceived issue,  While the rudder cables in and EZ are hardly as stressed as the control cables in a Cub, why spend more if there is no benefit and a possible deficit ?
Just my thoughts,
Ross

--
Thank You!
Ross Burk

Todd Carrico

I've got a bunch of uncoated copper nicopress sleeves from a builder that passed away many years ago.  Are the non-coated sleeves worth using, or should I cash them in for copper value :)

tc

Tom Smith

Keep them!

Tom Smith  A&P/IA
Long-EZ N12TS
Cell-707-592-0869
KVCB
KJ6PZN

I've got a bunch of uncoated copper nicopress sleeves from a builder that passed away many years ago.  Are the non-coated sleeves worth using, or should I cash them in for copper value :)

tc

Marc J. Zeitlin

 Greg Gullikson wrote:

I see references to stainless steel cable in aftermarket rudder pedal plans and some of the Cozy Mk VI literature, but I don’t find it in the Long-EZ plans or the HO rudder and hidden belhorn plans. They just reference 1/16” cable.

Page 2-2 of the Long-EZ plans clearly states

1/16" 7 x 7 Stainless cable
3/32" 7 x 19 Stainless cable
and:
18-1-3 sleeves (nicopress)

The COZY MKIV plans also call for SS cable and unplated sleeves.

Is the stainless cable preferred or should I be using galvanized cable.

The plans call for SS.

If stainless is preferred which Nicopress sleeves should be used, plain copper or copper/zinc?

Now we get to the interesting part. The LE, COZY and COZY MKIV plans all call for the 18-1-C nicopress, which are the UNPLATED copper sleeves. However, to Dave Froble's questioning of David Kissick's correct statement that with SS cable, plated sleeves are indicated, I'll point you to Table 7-6 on page 7-34 of AC43.13-1B which clearly states in the asterisked note that plated sleeves are required on SS cable due to electrolysis caused by different types of metals.

So Burt and Nat's callouts for 40 odd years of unplated sleeves with SS cable is contraindicated, per the AC. I cannot say that I've ever seen corrosion inside a nicopress at the rudder or engine compartment end of the cabling, and I'd certainly never expect to find it on the terminations inside the cockpit, but it's pretty clear that a zillion planes were built (mine included) with nicopress sleeves that at least do not optimally protect against galvanic corrosion.

If I had the choice in a build or repair, I'd use the SS cable and plated sleeves.

Also, the rudder pedal plans call out for AN111-3 cable bushings and they are cad plated. Any guidance would be appreciated.

 The AN111-3 cable bushings sold by ACS are 303SS, not cad plated plain steel.

On 1/19/2021 7:54 PM, Marc J. Zeitlin wrote:
Greg Gullikson wrote:

I see references to stainless steel cable in aftermarket rudder
pedal plans and some of the Cozy Mk VI literature, but I don’t find
it in the Long-EZ plans or the HO rudder and hidden belhorn plans.
They just reference 1/16” cable.

Page 2-2 of the Long-EZ plans clearly states

1/16" 7 x 7 Stainless cable
3/32" 7 x 19 Stainless cable
I'm not sure there is a 3/32" 7x19 cable. I've seen 1x19 and 7x7. The 7x7 is more flexible.

Just nit picking Marc, and, maybe I don't know everything.

:-)

and:

18-1-3 sleeves (nicopress)

The COZY MKIV plans also call for SS cable and unplated sleeves.

Is the stainless cable preferred or should I be using galvanized cable.

The plans call for SS.

If stainless is preferred which Nicopress sleeves should be used,
plain copper or copper/zinc?

Now we get to the interesting part.
Yes. I've never seen tin plated nico sleeves. I'd like to know a bit more about that.

The LE, COZY and COZY MKIV plans all
call for the 18-1-C nicopress, which are the UNPLATED copper sleeves.
However, to Dave Froble's questioning of David Kissick's correct
statement that with SS cable, plated sleeves are indicated, I'll point
you to Table 7-6 on page 7-34 of AC43.13-1B which clearly states in the
asterisked note that plated sleeves are required on SS cable due to
electrolysis caused by different types of metals.
I've seen copper sleeves with some corrosion on the outside. Just some discolorization. Don't know if it is a problem. I've seen a lot of places where non-plated copper sleeves have been used.

So Burt and Nat's callouts for 40 odd years of unplated sleeves with SS
cable is contraindicated, per the AC. I cannot say that I've ever seen
corrosion inside a nicopress at the rudder or engine compartment end of
the cabling, and I'd certainly never expect to find it on the
terminations inside the cockpit, but it's pretty clear that a zillion
planes were built (mine included) with nicopress sleeves that at least
do not optimally protect against galvanic corrosion.

If I had the choice in a build or repair, I'd use the SS cable and
plated sleeves.

Also, the rudder pedal plans call out for AN111-3 cable bushings and
they are cad plated. Any guidance would be appreciated.
I happen to have some cable bushings. Not certificated. Manta Products made their own back when they were building hang gliders. The ones I have are SS.

My usage is to terminate a cable, when a thimble won't work so well, and to allow disconnect of a cable, using 2 bushings.

The AN111-3 cable bushings sold by ACS are 303SS, not cad plated plain
steel.
Yeah, without checking, I think the part # is AN111-C3, for SS.

David A Froble wrote:

I'm not sure there is a 3/32" 7x19 cable.

Really? ACS lists P/N 05-03900 as being exactly that, so I'm pretty sure there is. Plus, the LE plans call it out.

Just nit picking Marc, and, maybe I don't know everything.

Only maybe? No one does...

Greg Gullikson

Thank you all for the response. Much appreciated.

Greg