From: Mark Kananen <mark@...>
To: <canard-aviators@...>
Sent: Tuesday, April 17, 2001 12:48 AM
Subject: [c-a] S & F

Since I was unable to make it to Sun-N-Fun, can you all that made it post
some reviews? I would love to read about it!

Thanks
Mark

Sue Fritz

I was there on Tuesday, I did not think there were as
many canards as in years past. When I was there, I
saw four or five VEZ's and three or four Longs.
Including one CEZ whcih had dark Air force camo paint
scheme. The pilot said he only flew it at night.
I was on the flightline when the camo EZ arrived around
12 noon. After he had a chance to get the plane
unloaded, I went over and made some inquiries. He
bought the plane from the second owner and had the plane
repainted. The dark blue and green places on the top
of the canard and wing were already too hot to place
your hand on and leave it there. I politely asked
if he was worried about damaging the foam core from
the heat to which he replied that if he had to
repaint because the heat ruined the paint, then
that was no big deal since the paint job didn't cost
him too much. Going from memory, I believe the
plane was N17EZ. The seat cushions had "Maddog"
embroidered on them. Maybe some more persuading from
someone this guy respects will work. Perhaps he
is even on this list. He told me that he lives
in Florida (HOT).

John Fritz

bw <nogofsu@...>

When I looked at this bird I could visible tell from a distance that the 80+
degrees was drooping the wings lower than the surrounding Ez wings were at.
I thought the same thing.
Bw

[...]

Paul Krasa

The debate about color went on a few months back. After doing some research, it is my opinion that an EZ painted in dark colors is unairworthy. The long term degradation will eventual cause enough fiber creep that something will fail. With many second and third hand owners of EZs, it was going to happen. The real problem is that the A&Ps who are signing off the annual condition inspection do not know it is a problem.

Paul
Long EZ 214LP

At 07:58 PM 4/24/2001 -0400, bw wrote:
[...]

Dale Martin <niceez@...>

All,

What do you do when a designer paints his demo model Bright Red
or even Orange? Doesn't send a very clear message when those
same airplanes make it nationally distributed magazines.

I don't have an answer other then to let the NTSB know so they
can send out a bulletin........ But then again, who wants that.

If we really cared we would all work at a a downloadable free
booklet called,
"Everything You Need To Know Before You Buy A Homebuilt Composite
Aircraft" by many many builders.

My 2 cents....

Dale Martin LEZ 777DJ Lewiston, ID

David A Froble

Tough situation.

If it's the owner, then not much can be done.

If it's an FAA certified repairman, then why not inform the FAA of the problem,
and maybe they'll put out a notice to repairmen about dark colors and how the
designed specified light colors or white. Yeah, maybe there are some who want
to stay as far from the FAA as possible, but, this is what they are there for.

I'd say that re-painting a composite aircraft dark colors is a 'major' change,
and should require a new inspection, which it should fail.

Not a good situation, but, do we want fiberglass falling out of the sky?

Gotta agree with Paul.

Dave

"Paul W. Krasa" wrote:

[...]

Dave Froble Enterprises, Inc. Fax: 724-529-0596
DFE Ultralights, Inc. E-Mail: davef@...
T-Soft, Inc. 170 Grimplin Road Vanderbilt, PA 15486

Jim Sower <jimsower@...>

<... re-painting a composite aircraft dark colors is a 'major' change ...>
Excellent idea. Need to define 'dark'.

"Paul W. Krasa" wrote:

The debate about color went on a few months back. After doing some
research, it is my opinion that an EZ painted in dark colors is
unairworthy. The long term degradation will eventual cause enough fiber
creep that something will fail. With many second and third hand owners of
EZs, it was going to happen. The real problem is that the A&Ps who are
signing off the annual condition inspection do not know it is a problem.

Paul

djb

Dale,

You hit the nail on the head. I live near Oshkosh. After a hard day
trooping around that huge site, looking at all the really neat stuff (Burt's
latest, hot shot Air Force stuff, NASA's latest, other EZ's, world record
A/C, etc., etc., etc.), it's very interesting to go home and watch what
shows up on the local TV news. You guess it - "new revolutionary engine"
that's never run but promises everything, steam powered helicopter a la Fred
Flintstone, etc., etc. The media can find more stupid and irrelevant stuff
then this whole group could locate collectively even if they tried.

Sorry about all that, but Dale, you are absolutely right- somebody has got
to get to this camo paint job and get it shut down one way or the other, or
it, or its wreckage, is going to appear on "Good Morning American" in the
all too near future.

FWIW

Dave B
from the north woods of Wisconsin