Canopy color

LADEWIG,MARK (HP-USA,ex3) <mark_ladewig@...>

Hello everyone,

I've started planning for installation of the canopy on my long-ez and I am
considering using the clear canopy vs the "smoked" or darker canopy. Does
anyone have any pros and cons of one compared to the other. I really like
the look of the plane with darker colored canopy. I think it really looks
sexy. However, if it's going to partially obscure my vision or cut down on
clarity of color I'll go with the clear! Anyone have any thoughts?

Mark Ladewig
Woodinville, Wa

David A Froble

I think that on a clear day, that clear canopy will leave you 'well done'.

Seriously, find some EX pilots with each, and bum a ride on a clear day. Actual experience in another's aircraft now will let you make a good decision, and not make you pay big bucks to try both on your own aircraft.

Dave

LADEWIG,MARK (HP-USA,ex3) wrote:

Hello everyone,
I've started planning for installation of the canopy on my long-ez and I am
considering using the clear canopy vs the "smoked" or darker canopy. Does
anyone have any pros and cons of one compared to the other.

Paul Werner <ezepilot@...>

The darker the canopy the hotter you will be when you are in it. The darker
canopy will get hot and radiate heat on to you. If you want tint you can
where sunglasses

Paul

Graham Singleton <grasingleton@...>

At 16:14 29/05/2002 -0700, LADEWIG,MARK (HP-USA,ex3) wrote:
Hello everyone,

I've started planning for installation of the canopy on my long-ez and I am
considering using the clear canopy vs the "smoked" or darker canopy. Does
anyone have any pros and cons of one compared to the other. However, if it's going to partially obscure my vision or cut down on
clarity of color I'll go with the clear! Anyone have any thoughts?

Mark Ladewig
Mark,
IMHO the best compromise is a bronze tint because it removes the UV and blue, which increases contrast and takes out the glare. A similar effect to the way an infra red camera works. The dark tints take out all colours so simply reduce the contrast and information transmitted.
After ten minutes the eye/brain compensates for the color change and white looks white again. However cameras do not have this capability.
Graham

Dave Black <dvblack@...>

LADEWIG,MARK,

I've started planning for installation of the canopy on my long-ez and I am
considering using the clear canopy vs the "smoked" or darker canopy. Does
anyone have any pros and cons of one compared to the other. I really like
the look of the plane with darker colored canopy. I think it really looks
sexy. However, if it's going to partially obscure my vision or cut down on
clarity of color I'll go with the clear! Anyone have any thoughts?
The smoked will probably reduce brightness by about 1 f-stop. Barely enough to
notice. But it should help reduce how quickly you bake in the sun.

Dave Black

Wallace G. Loewen <wgl@...>

I would only have clear, One of my friend riding motorcycle on a trip
with a group had a tinted bubble on his helmet. night came, stopped for gas
at a service station, he pulled out into traffic, rest of his friends
watched in horror as he pulled out infront of a high speed vehicle. If you
fly in cloudy , overcast cuts down on what you see. Wally Loewen,

Wally Loewen http://www.psnw.com/~wgl/

Stet Elliott <flyez@...>

LADEWIG,MARK (HP-USA,ex3) wrote:

Hello everyone,

I've started planning for installation of the canopy on my
long-ez and I am
considering using the clear canopy vs the "smoked" or darker
canopy. Does
anyone have any pros and cons of one compared to the other.
I used another color option - light green. It has just enough color to give
the canopy some contrast (for that snarky look), but doesn't seem to have
any effect on eyes or cameras. No problems with night flight. I like it.

This is the same canopy color used on the prototype Berkut. Dig thru your
old aviation mags for a photo of it.

Stet Elliott
flyez@...
Long-EZ N321EF

Prendergast, Gerald T <GERALD.T.PRENDERGAST@...>

Night vision would be degraded.

I've started planning for installation of the canopy on my long-ez and I am
considering using the clear canopy vs the "smoked" or darker canopy.

Mark Ladewig
Woodinville, Wa

james leturgey <julietlima7@...>

Mark:
Go with the bronze as Graham suggested. That's what I have and the three other Long's in the area wish they had done the same. At or above 8500 feet (which is where we like to fly), the sun shines 99% of the time and my experience is that it's a lot more comfortable.

Jim