Battery charger for Odyssey Batterys?

trcsmith <TRCSmith@...>

What brand name chargers are use for the small Odyssey battery's we use in our planes?   The 12 volt 12 amp models???

Tom Smith  A&P
Long-EZ N12TS
Cell-707-592-0869
KVCB
KJ6PZN

Jim Evans

Tom, I use the Odyssey they recommended for my particular battery. I would have to look at it tomorrow to give you the model number.
Jim

On Dec 22, 2015 8:51 PM, "trcsmith TRCSmith@... [canard-aviators]" <canard-aviators-noreply@...> wrote:

What brand name chargers are use for the small Odyssey battery's we use in our planes?   The 12 volt 12 amp models???

Tom Smith  A&P
Long-EZ N12TS
Cell-707-592-0869
KVCB
KJ6PZN

Tim Andres

If you dig around in the aero'lectric connection archives, (or just ask over there), Bob has found a $20 charger sold at Wallmart that tracks the $$$Odyseey specified charger voltage ramp up perfectly.  
The Odyssey needs to saturate for a while at a higher than normal voltage to reach full charge....they say. I don't see them asking for a special alternator or regulator however.  
Tim Andres  

On Dec 22, 2015, at 5:51 PM, trcsmith TRCSmith@... [canard-aviators] <canard-aviators-noreply@...> wrote:

Tom Smith  A&P
Long-EZ N12TS
Cell-707-592-0869
KVCB
KJ6PZN

Jeff Barnes

Recommended chares are (were) on their website. I bought theirs.

To: canard-aviators@...
Sent: Tuesday, December 22, 2015 7:51 PM
Subject: [c-a] Battery charger for Odyssey Batterys?

Tom Smith  A&P
Long-EZ N12TS
Cell-707-592-0869
KVCB
KJ6PZN

Rj Schreiner

Tom

While not a rapid charger, I use a product called "BatteryMinder Plus". It has a 12 vdc/1 amp output, tops off the charge, and automatically enters a maintenance cycle designed to de-sulfate the battery cells.  I have used it for the past 6 years and believe it has kept my battery in good shape and significantly delaying need for replacement.  They also have an aviation variant (much more expensive) that changes the electrical pulses with temperature for the maintenance mode.   

VR
RJ Schreiner 
Long EZ N24ND

On Dec 22, 2015, at 8:51 PM, trcsmith TRCSmith@... [canard-aviators] <canard-aviators-noreply@...> wrote:

Tom Smith  A&P
Long-EZ N12TS
Cell-707-592-0869
KVCB
KJ6PZN

Tom Mann <tmann@...>

>Tom, I use the Odyssey they recommended for my particular battery.

Same here.

T Mann

berkut13

I’ve had exceptional performance with these chargers.  Temperature compensated and designed specifically for AGM batteries.  

-James
Berkut/Race 13

On Dec 22, 2015, at 5:51 PM, trcsmith TRCSmith@... [canard-aviators] <canard-aviators-noreply@...> wrote:

What brand name chargers are use for the small Odyssey battery's we use in our planes?   The 12 volt 12 amp models???

Tom Smith  A&P
Long-EZ N12TS
Cell-707-592-0869
KVCB
KJ6PZN

cozygirrrl

We second James's endorsement of the Battery Minder products. We have many battery operated and battery start things/machines/tools and all of them were on el-cheapo "maintainers" which eventually still cooked most of the batteries though better than nothing. Most of the batteries are on things with occasional, intermittent or rare use. The types run the full range from wet/gell/sealed/AGM.
Research indicated Battery Minder products were a different animal, so we bought six of them plus one of their larger charger/maintainer products. All the batteries are happy still, they even brought back four gell cells used in two electric wheel chairs that had been in a scrap yard.

Chrissi
CG Products      

-----Original Message-----
To: trcsmith
Cc: canard-aviators
Sent: Wed, Dec 23, 2015 10:04 am
Subject: Re: [c-a] Battery charger for Odyssey Batterys?

I’ve had exceptional performance with these chargers.  Temperature compensated and designed specifically for AGM batteries.  

-James
Berkut/Race 13

What brand name chargers are use for the small Odyssey battery's we use in our planes?   The 12 volt 12 amp models???

Tom Smith  A&P
Long-EZ N12TS
Cell-707-592-0869
KVCB
KJ6PZN

Bulent Aliev

I have two Odyssey batteries (in parallel)  and one of the small trickle charge Battery Minders. I think they are about 1A. In the cabin one of my cigarette lighter sockets are connected directly to the batteries and protected with 2A CB. When in the hangar, the BM is plugged in the cig. lighter socket and keeps the batteries topped off. In flight, I use the same socket for iPad charging.

Bulent "Buly" Aliev
CZ MK-IV N484BD
X50 Edgewater, FL

On Wed, Dec 23, 2015 at 12:33 PM, CozyGirrrl@... [canard-aviators] <canard-aviators-noreply@...> wrote:

We second James's endorsement of the Battery Minder products. We have many battery operated and battery start things/machines/tools and all of them were on el-cheapo "maintainers" which eventually still cooked most of the batteries though better than nothing. Most of the batteries are on things with occasional, intermittent or rare use. The types run the full range from wet/gell/sealed/AGM.
Research indicated Battery Minder products were a different animal, so we bought six of them plus one of their larger charger/maintainer products. All the batteries are happy still, they even brought back four gell cells used in two electric wheel chairs that had been in a scrap yard.

Chrissi
CG Products      

From: berkut13@... [canard-aviators] <canard-aviators-noreply@...>
To: trcsmith <TRCSmith@...>
Cc: canard-aviators <canard-aviators@...>
Sent: Wed, Dec 23, 2015 10:04 am

-James
Berkut/Race 13

Tom Smith  A&P
Long-EZ N12TS
Cell-707-592-0869
KVCB
KJ6PZN

Phillip Johnson

Here is the response to an email I sent to Odyssey a few years back.  You may find it interesting.

Here is the URL for the approved chargers: www.odysseybattery.com/documents/ODYSSEYapproved12VchargersMay2013_000.pdf

Regards and have a Merry Christmas

Phillip Johnson
Cozy MKIV RG Powered by Subaru IO-200 (SN 0300)

http://www.canardaviation.com/PhillipJohnson

Sent: Tuesday, November 19, 2013 9:47 AM
To: phillip.johnson@...
Subject: ODYSSEY Inquiry

Good morning Philip,

The ER30  or PC950 (new model designation) is a 32Ah rated battery so, at 40% of its 10 hour rated capacity, the minimum recommended charging current is 12A. The OMAX-12A-1B, 12A charger would be the recommended charger for cyclic and deep discharge recovery of this 32Ah rated ODYSSEY battery. If the battery is only being maintained from a very high or full state of charge, then the OMAX-6A-1B, 6A charger would be acceptable as a maintainer to top off the battery and maintain it at a full state of charge while counteracting any parasitic loads if left connected to the application during extended periods of non-use.

In response to your question “what difference does it make”. Charge maintenance is critical to maximizing the life and performance of any battery including the Thin Plate Pure Lead AGM ODYSSEY battery technology. Here is a little ODYSSEY Battery 101…

The usable energy of the ODYSSEY battery is from 11.2V (0% state of charge) OCV to 12.84V OCV (Open Circuit Voltage should be checked after a minimum of 6-8 hours rest period with no loads) or higher. When the battery goes below 10.0V OCV, you are getting into the chemical part of the battery and can cause permanent damage. At less than 8.0V the ODYSSEY limited warranty deems the battery over-discharged due to abuse or neglect, usually unintentional. At less than 6.0V the battery can develop reversed cells and once reversed, the cells cannot be reversed back. If the battery becomes over-discharged (below 11.0V OCV), then the sooner  the battery can be fully charged properly, the better. If the battery remains connected to the application during storage for extended periods of non-use, an approved 12V maintainer can be used to prevent over-discharge and maintain the battery at a full state of charge and counteract the parasitic loads of the application. There is a link to a list of ODYSSEY program approved 12V chargers (and maintainers) linked on the ODYSSEY website Product Support page for your reference.

The list of approved 12V chargers is provided due to the many chargers that are programmed for the vast majority of batteries on the market that prefer low amp charging and lower float voltages that do not fully charge or maintain the ODYSSEY battery properly. The recommended charging current for an ODYSSEY battery is 40% of the 10 hour amp hour rating of the battery for cyclic or deep discharge applications (about 12A for a single 32Ah PC950), a constant float voltage of 13.5-13.8V and no constant voltages exceeding 15.0V in any kind of de-sulfation/reconditioning/equalize mode. At greater than 15.0V the battery can overcharge, overheat, and/or go into thermal runaway. Maintaining a fully charged battery at less than 13.5V will bring the battery down and maintain it in an undercharged condition causing premature sulfation and premature failure.

For seasonal applications (non-daily use applications that set for more than 3 days in a row frequently) regular use of an approved maintainer that meets the charge voltage requirements noted in the previous paragraph is highly recommended during the season. The preferred storage method is to fully charge the battery before storing and disconnect the battery from the application (shelf storage mode). Stored in or out of the application fully charged, with no loads, the battery would not require charging for up to 2 years at 77°F or until it reaches 12.0V, whichever comes first. The self discharge rate increases significantly for temperatures above 25°C (77°F) and for every 10°C (18°F) temperature increase the storage time to recharge is decreased by half. Charge maintenance is critical to maximizing the life and performance of the battery. Freezing will not harm the battery and self discharge rates reduce significantly at colder temperatures.

It is recommended that the ODYSSEY battery be charged if it is less than 12.65V when put into use per the ODYSSEY Owner’s Manual (link provided on website Literature page for your reference). Most standard alternators/stators are not meant to be deep discharge recovery chargers and can damage the alternator/stator as well as not fully charging the battery with limited use. The Cyclic Charge Voltage range printed on the top label of the battery is the recommended voltage at the battery from the applications charging system (alternator or stator). At less than 14.1V the battery may not be getting fully charged for infrequently used applications.  You can verify the battery voltage by checking the voltage at the battery at least 8 hours after application use (or off charge) and if the battery voltage is not at least 12.84V then the battery is not considered fully charged. Voltage readings taken right off charge or after use (alternator/stator charging) will be inflated and inaccurate so for a true OCV reading, you should wait at least 8 hours before checking the voltage (OCV) with 24 hours being preferred.

I hope this information gives you an understanding of the product. Please contact EnerSys if you have any questions, concerns or need further assistance.

Sincerely,

Kathy Mitchell

ODYSSEY Sales/Support Representative

Phone: 660-429-7551

Toll Free: 888-422-0317

Fax: 660-429-1758

Email: kathy.mitchell@...  

Web site: www.odysseybattery.com

Corp site: www.enersys.com

From: canard-aviators@... [mailto:canard-aviators@...] On Behalf Of trcsmith TRCSmith@... [canard-aviators]
Sent: Tuesday, December 22, 2015 8:51 PM
To: canard-aviators@...
Subject: [c-a] Battery charger for Odyssey Batterys?

Tom Smith  A&P
Long-EZ N12TS
Cell-707-592-0869
KVCB
KJ6PZN

trcsmith <TRCSmith@...>

Ended up ordering a Odyssey charger and a battery tender. The odyssey was a few dollars more that some others (a new older model) so I just ordered it.

Tom Smith  A&P
Long-EZ N12TS
Cell-707-592-0869
KVCB
KJ6PZN

To: trcsmith
Cc: canard-aviators
Sent: Sat, Dec 26, 2015 12:21 pm

Tom

While not a rapid charger, I use a product called "BatteryMinder Plus". It has a 12 vdc/1 amp output, tops off the charge, and automatically enters a maintenance cycle designed to de-sulfate the battery cells.  I have used it for the past 6 years and believe it has kept my battery in good shape and significantly delaying need for replacement.  They also have an aviation variant (much more expensive) that changes the electrical pulses with temperature for the maintenance mode.   

VR
RJ Schreiner 
Long EZ N24ND

On Dec 22, 2015, at 8:51 PM, trcsmith TRCSmith@... [canard-aviators] <canard-aviators-noreply@...> wrote:

Tom Smith  A&P
Long-EZ N12TS
Cell-707-592-0869
KVCB
KJ6PZN