Battery charger for Odyssey Batterys?

trcsmith <TRCSmith@...>

What brand name chargers are use for the small Odyssey battery's we use in our planes?   The 12 volt 12 amp models???

Tom Smith  A&P
Long-EZ N12TS
Cell-707-592-0869
KVCB
KJ6PZN

Jim Evans

Tom, I use the Odyssey they recommended for my particular battery. I would have to look at it tomorrow to give you the model number.
Jim

On Dec 22, 2015 8:51 PM, "trcsmith TRCSmith@... [canard-aviators]" <canard-aviators-noreply@...> wrote:

What brand name chargers are use for the small Odyssey battery's we use in our planes?   The 12 volt 12 amp models???

Tom Smith  A&P
Long-EZ N12TS
Cell-707-592-0869
KVCB
KJ6PZN

Tim Andres

If you dig around in the aero'lectric connection archives, (or just ask over there), Bob has found a $20 charger sold at Wallmart that tracks the $$$Odyseey specified charger voltage ramp up perfectly.
The Odyssey needs to saturate for a while at a higher than normal voltage to reach full charge....they say. I don't see them asking for a special alternator or regulator however.
Tim Andres

On Dec 22, 2015, at 5:51 PM, trcsmith TRCSmith@... [canard-aviators] <canard-aviators-noreply@...> wrote:

What brand name chargers are use for the small Odyssey battery's we use in our planes?   The 12 volt 12 amp models???

Tom Smith  A&P
Long-EZ N12TS
Cell-707-592-0869
KVCB
KJ6PZN

Jeff Barnes

Recommended chares are (were) on their website. I bought theirs.

What brand name chargers are use for the small Odyssey battery's we use in our planes?   The 12 volt 12 amp models???

Tom Smith  A&P
Long-EZ N12TS
Cell-707-592-0869
KVCB
KJ6PZN

Rj Schreiner

Tom

While not a rapid charger, I use a product called "BatteryMinder Plus". It has a 12 vdc/1 amp output, tops off the charge, and automatically enters a maintenance cycle designed to de-sulfate the battery cells.  I have used it for the past 6 years and believe it has kept my battery in good shape and significantly delaying need for replacement.  They also have an aviation variant (much more expensive) that changes the electrical pulses with temperature for the maintenance mode.

VR
RJ Schreiner
Long EZ N24ND

Tom Mann <tmann@...>

>Tom, I use the Odyssey they recommended for my particular battery.

Same here.

T Mann

berkut13

I’ve had exceptional performance with these chargers.  Temperature compensated and designed specifically for AGM batteries.

-James
Berkut/Race 13

On Dec 22, 2015, at 5:51 PM, trcsmith TRCSmith@... [canard-aviators] <canard-aviators-noreply@...> wrote:

What brand name chargers are use for the small Odyssey battery's we use in our planes?   The 12 volt 12 amp models???

Tom Smith  A&P
Long-EZ N12TS
Cell-707-592-0869
KVCB
KJ6PZN

cozygirrrl

We second James's endorsement of the Battery Minder products. We have many battery operated and battery start things/machines/tools and all of them were on el-cheapo "maintainers" which eventually still cooked most of the batteries though better than nothing. Most of the batteries are on things with occasional, intermittent or rare use. The types run the full range from wet/gell/sealed/AGM.
Research indicated Battery Minder products were a different animal, so we bought six of them plus one of their larger charger/maintainer products. All the batteries are happy still, they even brought back four gell cells used in two electric wheel chairs that had been in a scrap yard.

Chrissi
CG Products

I’ve had exceptional performance with these chargers.  Temperature compensated and designed specifically for AGM batteries.

-James
Berkut/Race 13

On Dec 22, 2015, at 5:51 PM, trcsmith TRCSmith@... [canard-aviators] <canard-aviators-noreply@...> wrote:

What brand name chargers are use for the small Odyssey battery's we use in our planes?   The 12 volt 12 amp models???

Tom Smith  A&P
Long-EZ N12TS
Cell-707-592-0869
KVCB
KJ6PZN

Bulent Aliev

I have two Odyssey batteries (in parallel)  and one of the small trickle charge Battery Minders. I think they are about 1A. In the cabin one of my cigarette lighter sockets are connected directly to the batteries and protected with 2A CB. When in the hangar, the BM is plugged in the cig. lighter socket and keeps the batteries topped off. In flight, I use the same socket for iPad charging.

Bulent "Buly" Aliev
CZ MK-IV N484BD
X50 Edgewater, FL

On Wed, Dec 23, 2015 at 12:33 PM, CozyGirrrl@... [canard-aviators] <canard-aviators-noreply@...> wrote:

[...]

Phillip Johnson

Here is the response to an email I sent to Odyssey a few years back.  You may find it interesting.

Here is the URL for the approved chargers: www.odysseybattery.com/documents/ODYSSEYapproved12VchargersMay2013_000.pdf

Regards and have a Merry Christmas

Phillip Johnson
Cozy MKIV RG Powered by Subaru IO-200 (SN 0300)

http://www.canardaviation.com/PhillipJohnson