Odyssey 680 pickle

Vance Atkinson

Hey guys,

I went out to the plane this morning to go fly and my Odyssey PC 680 was dead...well, almost, it had 5.2 volts left in it.  I was ticked off after doing all the prep for the flight and not being able to go!

This is a puzzlement as I flew it last weekend with no problems, and no, I didn't leave anything "on".  I checked all the usual suspects and came up with nothing as to why it died.

The puzzlement is this battery is only 2.5 years old and not abused. Only gingerly used by a Lil' ol' lady from Pasadena once a year......LOL

I have used this type battery in the past and it usually gets to about 5 years  before crapping out. I did buy this from a discount house which makes me suspicious.

Anyway, scrubbed flight and have a new bat. on the way from ACS.

Vance Atkinson

PC <uh1cw2@...>

I gave up on Odyssey batteries 6 years ago. I replace Three Odyssey 925 batteries in 9 years and decided enough was enough. By the way, I had tenders on the last two 24/7.  I went back to concord 35AXC type. It’s large and powerful.  I have had it in the plane for 6 years without issue. It has enough cranking amps to keep the ignition and all electrical in the plane going for at least 2 hours.  Odyssey batteries are way over rated and cost a lot of money for poor quality and minimum longevity.  Don’t let the bright orange color fool you into believing you’re getting anything special, you’re not!

You are better off with a lawn mower / tractor battery than purchasing an Odyssey.

Just expressing my personal experience with the product.

Respectfully,

Phil Camarda

Long EZ Driver

I went out to the plane this morning to go fly and my Odyssey PC 680 was dead...well, almost, it had 5.2 volts left in it.  I was ticked off after doing all the prep for the flight and not being able to go!

This is a puzzlement as I flew it last weekend with no problems, and no, I didn't leave anything "on".  I checked all the usual suspects and came up with nothing as to why it died.

The puzzlement is this battery is only 2.5 years old and not abused. Only gingerly used by a Lil' ol' lady from Pasadena once a year......LOL

I have used this type battery in the past and it usually gets to about 5 years  before crapping out. I did buy this from a discount house which makes me suspicious.

Anyway, scrubbed flight and have a new bat. on the way from ACS.

Vance Atkinson

Steve Hall <stevehall@...>

The connections between the cells are designed to fail!!!
If you get three years on any battery you are lucky!!

Steve

[...]

skovbjerg

That is interesting to me... My 925 has been in the plane now for 7-3/4 years and still going strong as new, never abused but never babied either...
I did not realize that there are reported quality issues with the Odysseys.

Jay

[...]

Jim Rodrian

Steve,

What is the basis for your statement "the connection between the cells are designed to fail"?

I have two Odyssey PC 680's in my Defiant.  I replaced both of them last year.  Both had 5 years (250 hours Hobbs time) of "flying" time on them.  One was seven years old, the other was six years old.  Both were working perfectly!  The Lycoming O-360 engines usually started in 2 blades of rotation (with Slick mags.). On one occasion the plane sat in the hanger (60 F) for 6 months without an engine start and no "trickle" charging of the batteries.  After that 6 month period, both engines started in 2 or 3 blades of rotation.

The batteries in the Defiant are charged at 14.5 volts during flight.  Whenever the avionics are ON (for 2 year pitot/static/transponder check) the battery supplying the load is charged with the Odyssey "smart charger" designs specifically to charge the Odessey battery.

Jim Rodrian
Defiant N403R

[...]

Bob Holliston

Sounds like Odyssey might have a quality control problem. My 925 works fine after five years, has sat for up to three months in the winter, never seen a battery maintainer, and always starts on the second blade. Also, my 2004 Dodge Dakota has the original battery. Bob

--

Don B

I have two had airplanes with Odyssey batteries and never a problem!  I left the battery switch on and drained one completely down once.  I followed the instructions on their website and brought it back to life and that was two years ago.  Never put a trickle charge on them and they never let me down.

[...]

Tony Rothwell

I too have used Odyssey batteries the last 18 plus years in my Mk III.

On the first battery, at 5 years, I reckoned it might be getting tired so I took it to an automotivve elecco who tested it and found it to be fine so I put it back in the aircraft.
At 8 years I simply did not believe it was still a fine item so I swapped it out - more fool me.  It is still in my garage a decade later and still holds a charge.

The second one lasted ten years and I suspect only died then because I am not now flying as much as I used to do.

So now I have my brand new third Odyssey in the aircraft and I have never had a problem with any of them (touch wood).

Tony

On 15 May 2016 at 13:25, Don Berlin donberlin475@... [canard-aviators] <canard-aviators-noreply@...> wrote:

I have two had airplanes with Odyssey batteries and never a problem!  I left the battery switch on and drained one completely down once.  I followed the instructions on their website and brought it back to life and that was two years ago.  Never put a trickle charge on them and they never let me down.

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad

[...]

Del Schier <delsjunk@...>

Steve I wonder how you know the inter cell connections failed; did you take one apart?  I suspect I have a bad Odyssey 925. On several occasions the airplane would not crank over well, once not at all and I had to jump start it.  A bad cell connection could do that or else I have a bad starter.

The bad cell connection scares me, I had an OEM Volvo battery internally arc and explode leaving acid and battery debri all over the engine compartment.

Del Schier

Cozy IV N197DL

Ex LongEZ N103JB

Cannon Creek Airpark 15FL

I went out to the plane this morning to go fly and my Odyssey PC 680 was dead...well, almost, it had 5.2 volts left in it.  I was ticked off after doing all the prep for the flight and not being able to go!

This is a puzzlement as I flew it last weekend with no problems, and no, I didn't leave anything "on".  I checked all the usual suspects and came up with nothing as to why it died.

The puzzlement is this battery is only 2.5 years old and not abused. Only gingerly used by a Lil' ol' lady from Pasadena once a year......LOL

I have used this type battery in the past and it usually gets to about 5 years  before crapping out. I did buy this from a discount house which makes me suspicious.

Anyway, scrubbed flight and have a new bat. on the way from ACS.

Vance Atkinson

Stephen Hall <stevehall@...>

Hi Del,, My Knowledge as an Industrial Engineer with experience in house with one of the largest Battery Manufacturers

in the country. The interconnect between the cells are the weakest parts of the battery.

The better the connections, the higher the price and warranty.

Steve

I went out to the plane this morning to go fly and my Odyssey PC 680 was dead...well, almost, it had 5.2 volts left in it.  I was ticked off after doing all the prep for the flight and not being able to go!

This is a puzzlement as I flew it last weekend with no problems, and no, I didn't leave anything "on".  I checked all the usual suspects and came up with nothing as to why it died.

The puzzlement is this battery is only 2.5 years old and not abused. Only gingerly used by a Lil' ol' lady from Pasadena once a year......LOL

I have used this type battery in the past and it usually gets to about 5 years  before crapping out. I did buy this from a discount house which makes me suspicious.

Anyway, scrubbed flight and have a new bat. on the way from ACS.

Vance Atkinson

Marc J. Zeitlin

Del Schier wrote:

The bad cell connection scares me, I had an OEM Volvo battery internally arc and explode leaving acid and battery debri all over the engine compartment.

Given the discussion of potential issues with Lithium batteries here recently (and they're obviously real), I wonder if we underestimate the potential issues with Lead Acid batteries because we're all just so used to them...

Copyright © 2016                     Burnside Aerospace