4130 supplier

row row

Hi All,

I'm going to build a set of the vortex generator engine mounts, but am finding it difficult (read impossible) to find an affordable supply of 1x1" 0.125" wall thickness 4130N steel tube here in the UK.
Does anyone in states have a supplier i could contact and order from directly please?
All help greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Rowan

Dale Martin

1 ACS is usually least expensive.
2 Alcobra Metals in Spokane.  We use them for next day delivery items.

Dale
http://www.long-ez.com
=====================>
Adios y vaya con Dios!

PC <uh1cw2@...>

I'm going to build a set of the vortex generator engine mounts, but am finding it difficult (read impossible) to find an affordable supply of 1x1" 0.125" wall thickness 4130N steel tube here in the UK.
Does anyone in states have a supplier i could contact and order from directly please?
All help greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Rowan

row row

Thanks but i need square, not round! ACS, Wickes etc only do 1x1" upto 0.090"  0.125" is available but harder to find. In the UK, to get a 10ft length in is in the order of $600USD!!!

I'm going to build a set of the vortex generator engine mounts, but am finding it difficult (read impossible) to find an affordable supply of 1x1" 0.125" wall thickness 4130N steel tube here in the UK.
Does anyone in states have a supplier i could contact and order from directly please?
All help greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Rowan

Bruce Hughes

Did you try McMaster-Carr?

Probably a long shot as they sell to
builders of homes, office buildings, etc.
Not likely to have 4130 but see:

www.McMaster.com

Bruce

Jim Evans

When I was building many years ago, I used to get my metal from Dillsburg Metals in Dillsburg, PA. He used to keep his stock in old chicken coops. He would sell you any quantity or lengths. Don't know if is still in business but he was great to deal with. For what it's worth.
Jim

On Jul 2, 2016 10:49, "'Bruce Hughes' ezcopilot@... [canard-aviators]" <canard-aviators@...> wrote:

Did you try McMaster-Carr?

Probably a long shot as they sell to
builders of homes, office buildings, etc.
Not likely to have 4130 but see:

www.McMaster.com

Bruce

row row

Hi Dale,

It seems spec'ing 1x1" can be interpreted as round!!!
I call them vortex generator because that was the name inthe web address ;-)
I tried contacting your guys via 2x different email addresses but nothing back.
That is the style of mount i am talking about. I think from memory you have made them before according to your site or a previous canard post? Please inspire me, what wpould it cost to have a set made up and shipped to teh UK please?

I hope you are well,

Cheers,

Rowan

On Saturday, 2 July 2016, 18:49, "Jim Evans jevansez@... [canard-aviators]" wrote:

When I was building many years ago, I used to get my metal from Dillsburg Metals in Dillsburg, PA. He used to keep his stock in old chicken coops. He would sell you any quantity or lengths. Don't know if is still in business but he was great to deal with. For what it's worth.
Jim

On Jul 2, 2016 10:49, "'Bruce Hughes' ezcopilot@... [canard-aviators]" <canard-aviators@...> wrote:

Did you try McMaster-Carr?

Probably a long shot as they sell to
builders of homes, office buildings, etc.
Not likely to have 4130 but see:

www.McMaster.com

Bruce

Ion Huss / Lisa Doughty <lisnion@...>

Thanks for that Rowan, I've been pondering just what a 'vortex generator' engine mount could be! Have you tried Speedy Metals?

Ion

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Posted by: "row row" catchrow@... catchrow
    Date: Sat Jul 2, 2016 12:12 pm ((PDT))

Hi Dale,
It seems spec'ing 1x1" can be interpreted as round!!!I call them vortex generator because that was the name inthe web address ;-)I tried contacting your guys via 2x different email addresses but nothing back.That is the style of mount i am talking about. I think from memory you have made them before according to your site or a previous canard post? Please inspire me, what wpould it cost to have a set made up and shipped to teh UK please?

I hope you are well,
Cheers,
Rowan

Dale Martin

Rowan,

Are these for a new installation or is this R & R (remove and replace).  The difference is match existing holes or just drilling them in the standard place.

Dale
http://www.long-ez.com
=====================>
Adios y vaya con Dios!

On Saturday, 2 July 2016, 18:49, "Jim Evans jevansez@... [canard-aviators]" <canard-aviators@...> wrote:

When I was building many years ago, I used to get my metal from Dillsburg Metals in Dillsburg, PA. He used to keep his stock in old chicken coops. He would sell you any quantity or lengths. Don't know if is still in business but he was great to deal with. For what it's worth.
Jim

On Jul 2, 2016 10:49, "'Bruce Hughes' ezcopilot@... [canard-aviators]" <canard-aviators@...> wrote:

Did you try McMaster-Carr?

Probably a long shot as they sell to
builders of homes, office buildings, etc.
Not likely to have 4130 but see:

www.McMaster.com

Bruce

cozygirrrl

Some years ago we searched for this material and found that it was not available at that time, from any manufacturer, if at all.
I do know they have been made from cold roll steel square tubes.
We were asked to make these and we decided not to based on two issues, the first being the weld of the 3/4" x 3/4" plug in the end of the tube was all that secured the mount in each corner and second, our mounts with the additional tubes added to prevent the inevitable cracks/breaks do not have the ability to run a bolt through the center of the mounting stubs.
We are not so concerned about the weld any more but still our mounts would not be suited to this mounting style.

Chrissi
CG Products

[...]

Brand new installation Dale.

On Sunday, 3 July 2016, 15:27, "Dale Martin Niceez@... [canard-aviators]" wrote:

[...]

Thanks Chrissi,

It is defiantly available in the States. Getting it in the UK is the issue.
I am building my own mount, so sorry, no worries about compatability!

Cheers,

Rowan

[...]

Wayne Hicks

Www.onlinemetals.com has everything you could ever want.

...wayne

[...]

patch

Rowan yuu won't get an answer at that website. Vortex Generators and the sqaure engine mounts were designed and built by Art Bianconi. Sadlly, Art is no longer with us. Not sure why his website is still up. There are some problems with fabricating the engine mounts. But easily solved Many  Many people have built them. If you will wearch the Canardaviators.com website, there are solutions and pictures on there to show you what you are getting into. One of the problems is it moves the mounting points and a standard LEZ engine mount no longer works. The mounting points are in the wrong location. There are some other small challenges that have been overcome. Check out the canardaviation form. You will find most of the answers you seek there.

Scott "Patch" Humphrey
Cozy III Ch. 8
Savannah, TX

On Sat, Jul 2, 2016 at 1:41 PM, row row catchrow@... [canard-aviators] <canard-aviators@...> wrote:

[...]

Just had a thought???? !!!

What IF, you used bar square stock and then had a hole machined through the center (Larger diameter than the bolt used to fasten the engine mount and so a socket had the clearance to make it in and out) and just accepted the small weight gain from the extra material?
The part that gets machined away could be made to have flat interior walls with a radius to remove more weight.
It would allow for a thicker end say, 0.200" thick for the bolt to pass through and require no welding.
I am really liking this idea because it requires no welding.

Let me know what you think...

Dale
http://www.long-ez.com
=====================>
Adios y vaya con Dios!

I'm going to build a set of the vortex generator engine mounts, but am finding it difficult (read impossible) to find an affordable supply of 1x1" 0.125" wall thickness 4130N steel tube here in the UK.
Does anyone in states have a supplier i could contact and order from directly please?
All help greatly appreciated.

Cheers,

Rowan

cozygirrrl